Off Roading Forums banner

Making Pro-Comp springs less harsh?

1117 Views 12 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  **DONOTDELETE**
Should I make an effort to soften my Pro-Comp springs? I have heard others suggest taking apart the leaf packs. Then painting them with graphite paint and installing teflon pads prior to re-installing them. Has anyone tried this? Does it really make a difference? It sound like a lot of work to me. I am willing to do it if it will improve flex off-road, What do you think?

Thanks
Tom

85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5"lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G
My 2.5" springs have softened up nicely since I first bought them about 1.5 years ago. I haven't done anything to them. I do try and get out to a off-road area and flex them as much as possible(not much). Putting the teflon pads in would definitely help.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
G
My suggestion is to take it off-road and beat the #[email protected]%@^ out of the suspension. Pulling the leaf packs apart isn't as dificult as it seems if you have a torch, just heat the clips and bend them straight up, remove the centering bolt with and impact and a vice grips. You'll need a new centering bolt to reassemble them and preferably new U-bolts although they aren't completely necessary unless you wreck the threads. Also, your shocks you are running make a large difference, ES3000s suck on a JEEP. You also may have trouble removing the bolts in the ends of the springs, they tend to seize to the internal collar in the bushings. Good luck,
Nick Hagen

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger
My 4" Pro Comps already have teflon pads in the ends - were that way when I got 'em. Don't they all? All I've done is bend back the spring clamps so the springs aren't clamped so tight. Mine have sagged to about 3" probably, after about 3 years, mostly in back. I still have the ES3000s, and they are pretty bad. I think the majority of the bad ride comes from them. I'd love to go up to RS9000s. Anyone got any of that "money" stuff I keep hearing about? Gotta get me some of that. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.
See less See more
G
Tom,
Just open your spring pack clamps a little bit and they will soften up really nice. My 4" Pro-Comp was very harsh and since I did this the flex is great and so is the ride.
Peanut

Thanks
I will open up the clamps.

Tom

On top of opening the clamps I also removed the short bottom spring from each pack. This helped the ride and flex of my ProComps alot.

Good Luck,
Rob

83 CJ5 4.2 t176 300 4.56 33s
G
Hard wheeling requiring the suspension to flex a bunch has finally loosened up mine after about 1 1/2 years. Now it actually works pretty good, I can usually keep all four tires on the ground.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
i've had my 4" pro-comp for almost six months now. i ditched the shocks that came with them and put a set of rs9000's on. that made all the difference in the world. it also allows for a good ride either empty or with the inside filled with just a quick adjustment. mine also have anti-friction pads on the ends of the leaves. i loosened the clamps and try to get off-road a couple times a month to give them a good flexing. the ride isn't as soft as the stock springs, but it's much better than when i first put the lift on.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner
I only have the ProComp 2.5". It sounds like most of you have the 4". Am I correct?

G
No, I have the 2.5 with Rancho RS5000 shocks.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
G
I agree with the others: Whatever you do, ditch the Pro-Comp shocks if you have 'em That alone will make a big difference.

Rex
'91 Wrangler in the building stage
G
geese guys does any one see a pattern
do people knock pro comp and make them sound worse than they are or is skyjacker/super lift or whatever that much better but the key that i see to this topic is the shocks well even say u bought that cheap pro comp lift say for under the 400 bucks or so and than bought say ranch rs 9000 u really did not save much considering sky jackers shocks are suppouse to be good! I understand the subject was not about buying a pro comp lift but i wanted to see if this made sense and if so with better shocks does this mean better road manners with pro comp, sorry sooo loong
later
84 cj7

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.