Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie cycle owner, just bought my first bike ( used KLR250 ). My question is, what kind of oil does one use on these things, since the tranny and engine share the same oil supply? The guys owner's manual just specifies the grades, like SF 10W40, etc. Do you need special oil or will normal motor oil in the grades specified in the owners manual work? What about synthetic motor oil like mobil 1? Will that be too slipery for the clutch to work?
Thanks in advance.
Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
since a 4 stroker depends on oil so much mor than a 2 stroker i alwasy run good quality oil like bel-ray or such.. goto a shop and ask what theyd run. Most the newer oils are great so you realy cant lose. Bike oil is made to hold up at higher rpms so i hear.... but who knows for sure

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
motorcycle oils have anti-shear additives to prevent breakdown while being churned through the gears and car ouils have polymers(sp?) in them that can bond to clutch plates that can cause slippage. everyone will debate this. use a good oil and change it once a month. its like 10 bucks total. more often if you ride every day at redline for 500 miles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.