Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a "friendly" inspection station in southern Maine, I need to get a vehicle inspected, it's coming from MA and doesn't currently have one.

Anyone know of any? There is one up here, but I'm 220 miles above the border.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
How friendly? I can lead you to a good mechanic, but i'm not sure he does $50 inspections (if you know what I mean).
and he's right off the turnpike at exit 6. tell me how far you think you need to torque the law and i'll ask around.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't need a $50 inspection, just someone friendly.

I have a friend in MA that is looking to sell a truck, but he built it from Junkyard parts. It's really nice and he did a great job, but to get a Maine title for it (it's a 1990), it has to undergo a Maine inspection. I have been to some inspection places that are just a little crazy, like failing you for not having bumper end caps. I am just looking for one down there that isn't going to be picky.

Hey, don't they have emissions down there at exit 6?

The closest one I know to me is 100 miles south, or 120 miles north of the border.

I used to get inspections at places that didn't even require the vehicle, you'd just ask for 2 and give them the VIN tag. I miss those places. Of course, you could only do that if they knew you and had seen the vehicle around, it was a trust thing.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
Two questions does it have a Mass title? And, is it inspected and registered (or has it been) in Mass?

If so you should just be able to transfer it. If no mass title you'll likely have to apply for a Maine salvage title. Been there, done that. I beleive you can apply for a full title on a salvaged vehicle, but i think you actually have to have it inspected by the state (DOT or State Police). I'm not 100% positive though.

Yes we do have emissions, and it consists of some type of vacumm or pressure test of the Gas cap. That's it. Costs us an extra 6.50.

Get off exit 6, straight through intersection onto access road. Go to next light (that'll be route 1)turn right go 1/10 of a mile to Peary's on the left (Across from Len Libby's candy) and right at the top of the hill. He's a nice guy and won't try to chisel you.

Also, you can turn left onto 1 go through 7 lights (about 3 miles). As you pass through the seventh Dunkin donuts will be on your right, about 100 more feet on the left is a blue building (you'll be looking at the back of it). Scarborough muffler center, or SMC (if he's got the new sign up). Randy is as honest as I know, but he only does his inspections in the morning (starts at 8).

Both of these guys are only available on business days. I don't really know them personally, otherwise I'd tell you to drop my name, but I have friends/business owners who do. If they tell you there's something uninspectable, they're not BS'ing you

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, no MA title, and he couldn't get it titled in MA either due to it having a Salvage title from another state. I have looked into getting it titled in Maine, and it can go on the road, but it has to be inspected by a Maine inspection station (no DOT or SP required), and when it passes it'll have a Maine "rebuilt" title and will be legal for the road.

You've been through this before?

The gas cap sticker is no problem, thanks for the heads up and the directions.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hey Mark, glad to see you back on the bbs. Hope all is well on the home front.

I just got through purchasing a jeep from an insurance company a few months ago. It was a recovered theft with minor dings but definitely road worthy, however, the state still required me to get a rebuilt title. And yes, the first thing I had to do was get it stickered. You have to have all your ducks in a row before you send the paper work to the state. They will not hesitate to send it right back to you for you to do again (been there done that)!
I use a local garage (off exit 12) to get my stickers, nice and laid back guy.
Let me know if you have questions with the paper work. Don't forget to have the guy doing the inspection sign the green form that you need to send in.
big ed

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
My dad bought an 87 Cherokee from a wrecking yard in Gorham back in 90 (?). Hit on driver's side, they rebuilt the whole side and straightened it. For the longest time we had it registered and inspected without a title (must've been salvage not rebuilt). We were applying for a title though. I thought there was only regular and salvage, didn't realize there was rebuilt.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, thanks, I may be giving you a call.

Matt, I never knew there was one either, it was news to me, must be a new classification with all the vehicles people are building nowadays.

Good thing vehicles over 15 years old don't need a title for registration, no telling what my Scrambler would be listed as. My younger brother's truck is the same way, pieces/parts from 4 different ones to make a whole one. It started out life as a 2WD diesel and is now a 1 ton 4x4 with a 350. Looks nice though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

G

·
There is weird things. My 55 had no (or lost) VIN, the jeep has a title though, and a state issued "VIN" number. I got a little tag on the dash legit registration, and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts