Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some people on this forum know, I'm new to 4X4 thing and just starting to learn all of the tricks to setting up a good trail rig. I bought my '94 Wrangler YJ used with a 4" Superlift and 33" Thornbirds. Since I bought it I have been working to get it more trail worthy... winch, new plugs and wires, hi-lift, tools, etc... But no matter what I did the Jeep still rode stiff and was hard shifting from 1-2. Well, the other night I decided to take El Jeepo out for it's first run with it's new owner. This wasn't even really a trail, just some tame woods near PSU. Later that night when I got back on the road, it was like I had a new suspension /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif My jeep is much more responsive and even shifts better (not perfect though). I'm sure there's some good explanation, or maybe I just needed to appease the Jeep Gods /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Anyways, If anything like this ever happens to you, don't try explaining it to your girlfriend (I think she thinks I'm crazy now). Next time you have some problem with your Jeep that you just can't figure out, take it out for a little trail ride and hopefully the Jeep Gods will find it in their ultimate wisdom to help you.... hehehe /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

ps. I really not crazy... hehe /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I too, have seen the Jeep Gods at work! Like the time I popped the bead on both front tires at the same time, backed off, and they popped back on with minimal air loss - I continued on the trail! I have also seen them laugh at our foolishness - but I won't get into that

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Sorry to toss cold water on you but there IS only one God,/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and He isn't necessarily Jeep-specific. However, your Jeep phenomena is quite understandable. (1) the suspension was way too tight...needed some tweaking and creaking to get it loose enough to really work properly. Trail driving will do that sometimes. (2) your clutch was not releasing completely, fat disc...adjustment...WHATEVER. And the trail drive wore enough off the disc to at last make it "clear" completely and easier to shift. So that's the Jeep story. Would you like to hear the GREATEST story of all? It happened a very long time ago, but changed mankind's relationship to the "real" God. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Now Dave........ the guy did say "magical" trail ride.......he was just throwing in some mythology......just like the Greeks and Romans....../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif ...... but you've done what you had to ...../wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
GeeAea

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I have learned over the years that "magic' seems to obey the laws of physics, no matter where it is found. I believe in magic all right...heh heh...like a check "magically" appears in the ol' PO box...oh yeah.
A zillion years ago when the famous WWI ace Eddie Rickenbacker was in the auto mfg business, they made air cooled cars. They had a slew of problems with the engines. The 'fix' turned out to be just driving them hard till they siezed up, then drinking a coke while they shurnk back, then....no more problems. Magic? Or physics? Heh heh/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif FNG...no problem...I ALWAYS have time to tell great truths./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Heck, I'll MAKE time! /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Now Dave ......you can always explain away something with physics, biology, and chemistry.......but when I find myself between those two geological formations (namely a rock and a hard place) ......I do not seek science to save me ....... and apparently neither do you. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry to raise religious issues, I was just being humorous, I am a man of science myself (architectural and mechanical enginereer), I just thought it would be funny to put forth what happened to me the other night in a funny light.

ps. The 'real' god may not be Jeep specific, but I'd bet in that big a** garage in the sky, he has a few *heavenly* trail rigs tucked away for the Jamborees each year /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif.

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I can think of a couple of Jeeps that went to the big Jeep garage in the sky.....along with the drivers and at least one passenger. /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif It CAN happen, and when it does, it's nice to be in tight with Him./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif Bit....this IS a Jeep page....I didn't mean to preach! (Actually I did/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif)
We see quite a few posts about over-tightening suspension parts, and you need to be aware of how it can negatively affect the system. Probably the biggest problem that new mechanics have is knowing when to quit tightening. I am constantly telling the little helpers that I have over now and then: "Don't forget to quit!" When they have an extra-long 7/16" box end and they have it on a 1/4" bolt/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif...I watch 'em like a hawk./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.