Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading some of the info on Pirate and I read an article on this Crawler Box (NP231 parts)that is supposed to be relatively inexpensive and when coupled to a Dana 300 is actually 1" shorter than a stock NP231 with slip yoke.

This is the first I have heard about it but it seems like it could be a relatively simple install that would give you multiple low rande options.

Any thoughts?????

·
Registered
630 Posts
if its the one i have seen it used the 231 front half for 4lo and then what ever 23spline t-case you hook to the back you could make some thing crazy for cheap i bet

·
Registered
757 Posts
I to have read that article. It looks very interesting. However, I can not find any other information on it on the net. Parhaps try to contact the manufacture directly. Let us Know what you find. Also look into this Crawler Box, It looks like more work though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tim was researching this pretty hard last year but lost interest. It is a pretty cool idea. I read about it a little, at that time the guy was just getting some of his first feedback from kits he had sold.
Aaron.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may investigate this a little more then give it a go if not too much $$$$. I will need a project for this winter anyway since I haven't touched my jeep lately(meaning past 5 minutes). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

We will see!!!!!!

Brad

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I'm just wondering where you guys need a 5:1 crawl ratio around here?

Or are you talking about for out west in the rocks?

Just wondering if there is something around here a dumb farm boy like me doesn't know about...

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JYG,

I am looking specifically because I work at a limestone quarry and there is exposed limestone year round from our stripping operation.

Also, Attica has some pretty nice rock crawling and hopefully I will get to do some more of the private property. It has some wicked rock crawling.

The reason this doubler appeals to me is because I will still be able to run 2.7:1 range or 5.4:1 range. I don't want to drop in a 4:1 kit in my NP231 and be stuck that low all the time.

Also, I spoke with Duffy the owner of D. D Machine today and he was very helpful. We spoke for about 15 minutes and we discussed several things about the crawl box. I was looking at using a NP241 for my reduction box but after talking with him he said the NP231 is rated for 4800lbf torque and the NP241(5400lbf torque). The NP241 is actually 2" taller which would be a problem for me because I do not have a drop skid plate and for the little strength gain would not be worth me hassling with.

I think I am going to go with the NP231 reduction box mated to a Dana 300. He stated that I would have to flip both the reduction box and the Dana 300 or the front output of the 300 would interfere with the reduction box. He also said the easiest way he has found to tackle shifter issues is to use Summit Racing DM shifter cable for $24 each.

So for my winter project I think I am going to dig up a Dana 300 (If anyone knows where a cheap one is throw me a bone) and get another NP231. Then I will use the DM shifter cable to operated the reduction box and I will twin stick the Dana 300.

Should be a pretty cool Mod.
2 high
2 low 2.7:1
2 low 5.4:1
4 High
4 low 2.7:1
4 low low 5.4:1

and still an 1" shorter than a stock NP231 with slip yoke.

He quoted me $414 for the adapter kit. The I figure I can sell my NP231 with SYE and recoupe that money. So off to find a cheap NP231 and a Dana 300.

Brad

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I bought my 4-1 T-case for $600 and sold my NP231 for $250. A grand total of $350. If I don't want the super low, I shift into 2nd or 3rd...or high range..

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Elusive,

Great price on that 4:1 case. What did you end up with? I haven't seen anywhere near that kind of price around here. I figured I could put this together for less than the Tera Low kit $$$.

Brad

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Thanks Brad!
That is with out a doubt, the most detailed answer I've received here to date!
Clear, concise, as direct to the point as a laser without any superfluous right angle tangents that go on here so often.

I'm impressed to the point of gushing about it!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Take lots of pictures as you go so LEVE will have a new article!
You are a natural for writing technical script!
-------------------

I do river bottoms, and stuff like Red Bird a lot so I need wheel speed more than crawl most of the time...
BUT;
Now I'm keeping an eye out for an NP 231 and D-300 also!
You made your case so well and the hybrid looks so easy and versatile I'm keeping an eye out for the parts too!

I am in the middle of junk 4x4 country after all...

What can I help you with? What are you looking for?

·
Registered
425 Posts
KC,
Did you read the article in the March/April '06 issue of Crawl?

Pretty good tech article, but of coarse, more installed pics would be nice. They installed the mad rooster kit in a 231 and mounted a 300 behind it. They flipped both, and built their own triple shifter. They even outlined the building of their homebrew 300 flip kit.

·
Registered
546 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Elusive,

Great price on that 4:1 case. What did you end up with? I haven't seen anywhere near that kind of price around here. I figured I could put this together for less than the Tera Low kit $$$.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

The cheapest I can find a TeraLo kit for the NP231 is $749 and thats shipping included. I've been considering it lately but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Brad, are you going to try and flip it yourself or buy a flipkit???
Good luck, sounds really cool!!
Aaron.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aaron,

I believe I will buy the D. D machine kit because it comes with the shaft to couple the 231 and Dana 300. I could could build the adapter and clocking ring but the hardened shaft is another story.

OS,
I haven't read that article but I will see if I can find the magazine, sound like just what I am looking to do.

Brad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts