Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the m.o.r.e. frame plates. I have a frame(86 CJ7)that is cracking some on the inside just in
front of the rear spring hangar, on both sides (typical). Or has anyone plated this area & have any tips. Thanks.

'78 CJ7 304, rust, inspected!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have them. I did a quick write up a few weeks ago on this board. I have them partially installed. I bought two sets: one for the outside and one for the inside of the frame. The outside ones and the bottom plate went on fairly easily. I ran out of time to install the inside ones, but I know they will not be as easy to install. They should be able to buy me a number of years on the frame. The thing that took the longest was all the dissambly. I removed the gas tank (since i was planning on replacing it anyways) and rear section of the exhaust to give me more room to work. The worst thing was getting the shackles and shackle hangers out of the way. I ended up breaking the bolts off so I just bought new ones to replace them. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
WALSTIB/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

· Registered
856 Posts
The inside metal of the frame is thinner than the outside.A friend of mine welded the plate on and when he went to weld the crack on the inside of the frame it put a hole in it .mine was cracked down the inside and outside of the frame,front driver side before spring hanger. almost 2/3 of the way through ,I rode on it like this for about a year.but I didn't do any hard wheeling in it ...whats kinda freaky is when I jacked it up to take some pressure off the crack it opened right up ....makes you wonder how it made it a year without busting...although the plates are shaped to the frame ,some grinding must be done,and it is alot of disassembly.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

· Registered
328 Posts
If you're talking about the front hanger on the rear springs, I plated mine with a pc. of 3/16" X 4" X about 6" long. I mounted the plate vertically and welded it directly to the spring hanger and up both sides of the plate and across the top. The metal is very thin on the inside of the frame.

The MORE plates look good, and I have considered them for a future upgrade. So far, my repairs are holding up well. I don't do much offroading with it.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.