Off Roading Forums banner

LPG 258?

793 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
Does anyone have any info on this conversion? I'm just curious and have some extra time. It would be neat though. How many miles do you think you can get on say a 20 pound tank of propane. Lot's of thoughts going through my head.

#2 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif It's been a while since I dinked with LPG, but I had a dual-fuel GMC 1/2 ton with a 40 gallon tank, and it was good for about 400 miles or so....don't forget that all 40 gallons isn't useable.... With LPG, you must de-rate the HP by about 9%. It burns very clean, and starts good cold...as long as it isn't TOO cold./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#4 ·
Neat thing about LP conversions is how clean the engine internals stay. The problem is the boiling point of LP is about 40 degrees F. Below that and fuel delivery is impossible without some type of heater. I have dealt with cold weather propane delivery and have installed propane heaters to heat the tanks and delivery lines for cold weather. Depending on the surface area of liquid in the tank, and the fuel delivery requirments, heat may even be needed at warmer temperatures.

Another alternative with its own set of problems is CNG, or Compressed Natural Gas. Fuel injection and new generation systems work great. CNG does not have cold weather problems, and the existing fuel system can be kept for backup. Some problems are tanks are high pressure, and fairly large for a small quantity of fuel, tanks need to be recertified on a regular basis, I think every couple of years, and filling stations can be few and far between. But I know here, CNG is about $0.80/gal compared with gasoline at $1.40/gal. Great application in fleet vehicles.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G
#5 ·
I must say I'm not too keen on the thought of going wheeling with a 20 lb bottle of flammable compressed gass on my jeep! ever heard of a fuel air bomb?
but seriously this setup has been used for years on forklifts, I drove one for a while and seems to me that a 20lb bottle would last a fair time, usually got filled once a week or so I think so maybe 5-6 hours of actual run time.

G
#6 ·
Qhat about that 20gallons of highly flammable liquid called gasoline? Current LPG tamks and such are much more stringent controlled then the gas tanks!

It beats me that no LPG vehicles are allowed in the chunnel but normal fuel tanks is not a problem! I seem to recall a programme years a go where a bullet was shot into a LPG with out explosive consequenses while the normal fuel tank exploded!

The only thing is where are you going to put the extra tank? I wouldn't want to get rid of the fuel tank as LPG fuel points are few and far between.

Ta
BlueJay

BlueJay

#7 ·
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif the reason that LPG is so shunned in tunnels and places like that is that it is HEAVY....sinks to the bottom, and lays there waiting to detonate. Every now and then I see a boat where the owner has tossed the alcohol stove out and converted to propane./wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif I try to be a long way from his boat when he cranks it up./wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif Propane in the bilges? Oh, no problem...let's see here....oh, we won't bother running the blowers today...we are in a hurry...get me a beer...(Boom)./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

#8 ·
A friend of mine had a buddy of his (that worked a LPG/natural gas supplier - UGI) fit his Willy's with a LPG set up. It cost him about a grand at the time. The "buddy" said that it would have cost him $15-1800 (I don't know how much of a buddy this guy really was). I don't really see why it was all that expensive. It just LOOKED like an adapter on the carb that had a couple of heater hose hook ups.......and of course the lines and the tank. We use them in our towmotors/forklifts at work ......we don't have much trouble starting them in any temperature ......however in the extreme cold (0-15) you may have to let it run for a while to get enough flow to actually get any serious rpms out of the motor (it seems to run out of fuel) .....a few minutes of idling seems to do it. I assume this is because of the heated air intake (the snorkel thingie from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner intake) begins doing it's job. I had an older friend (actually a father of one of my former girl-friends) who was a LPG driver for SUN Oil ....... (we're talking the 50's-60s here) ..... he said that his truck ran off the stuff and his problems were in the summer ......where an ice ball would form in the carb. He just started it on gasoline and ran it out of LPG before stopping on a hot day.Mileage was reported to be about the same as gasoline (based on 4-5 lbs of LPG to one gallon of gas-I think).
Generator ratings on LPG as opposed to gasoline are 85-90% of normal rating.......at least the last time I checked.
Hey.....anyone got one of those military surplus LPG refridgerators at their mountain camp .....the ones that have the little "pilot" to burn off the expelled LPG when it's used for a refrigerant?
GeeAea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.