Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 86 cj7 and was wondering if anyone has any tips on lowering it.
thanx

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
You wont possibly survive in this world

are you crazy!!

RUN RUN RUN, change your email address quick!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i just want a one of a kind vehicle, its seems that the rear will be easy to lower, but the front end looks like itll give me some problems

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
ok.. step 1..
sell the most off-road capable vehicle ever assembled to someone with common sence
step 2.. buy a kia
step 3.. don't ever tell anyone you ever owned a jeep

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at www.jeepgod.net

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Lower a Jeep??? What kind of a ridiculous idea is that. If you want something one of a kind, put some 5 ton military axles under it, some 60" monster truck tires, but please do not ever even mention lowering of a very capable off road machine. If you choose to proceed, I hope there is someone around to put that poor Jeep out of it's misery... /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

Tim
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 35x12.5s
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif '85 S15 4x4 2.8l, 235/75's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Ozark, I don't think Sandman would mind if you took a picture of Ragex and mailed it to to the Sierra Club...

As far as lowering the jeep goes, call your local cement plant, and order about 5 yards of some 40,000psi cement. Get in the jeep...close every opening except for the passenger side window. Leave that open just enough to get the cement funnel in. The weight will easily lower the jeep for you. Just remember to stay very still while it's hardening...umm..you need to have a hollowed out spot to sit...yeah, that's it.

If that cement trick doesn't work, try picking up some of those overweight, trahsy chicks that find "lowriders" cool. By the time you get 5 or 6 of them in the jeep, you'll be bottoming out on every pothole around, just like you want.

One of a kind vehicle, eh? Nobody here has ever seen a lowered car before...much less a lowered jeep. Whew! What an original thought. Hey, with all this talk about new suspensions giving "too-much" articulation and too high of a center of gravity, maybe this lowering thing will catch on! Anybody have the link to the "Easy 50hp add-on exhaust tip" website that was on here a while ago? It'd probably be right up his alley.

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hehe thanx for the support ill send you guys a pic when im done. as i said back is no problem just needed to get a diff kind of differential in the front and just got ahold of a friend who has i idea on how i can get one.

have fun ignorant ******** :)

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
If you really want to lower it, go to http://www.ridetech.com and check out the site.
You will find some things really cool, and although they make no direct bolt on kit, they have universal kits that will lift or lower your vehicle.
They also have a BBS, and you can get answers there to all your questions....

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
hey look at that!
another 16 year old kid trying to talk her daddy into buying a jeep!

later Rage boy, we are really going to miss you

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of sanded and primered pieces

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[I'm answering this assuming you are serious.]

There are plenty of Jeeps to go around and if someone wants to lower theirs they shouldn't have to put up with grief from anyone else. What's the big deal? Why do you care so much what other people do?

Personally I don't usually like lowered vehicles of any kind, unless it was designed that way like a Porche. However, if I had the money I would probably lower a YJ because it would be better than driving a "car" as a daily driver. (Keep in mind that I drive a CJ with a nothing but a bikini top and half doors year round in Canada so I have my Jeepdom covered!)

I don't think a CJ would look that great lowered so I would put a YJ front clip on it and do a flat fender chop job on the fenders. I would also lower the seats slightly (get some stylin' seats from a Fiero or somethin'), and chop the windshield a few inches. That would be too kewl!/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

I would probably use YJ springs, they are flater than CJ springs and might drop you up to 2". You might be able to use slightly shorter shackles and you might even be able to redrill or build new spring hangers. Low profile tires of course. I think I had some other ideas once, but I can't remember right now. Hmm.....taller spring perches will lower you. Don't forget to replace the shocks with the right size eh!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awww, gee...every once in a while, a little flaming is cathartic. The only thing that I find more amusing than the fact that he wants to lower a CJ is the fact that he was inable to type one gramatically correct sentence, and yet he castigated the rest of us for being "ignorant ********." I 'spose I'll head out back 'hind the barn an' git beck tu me werk. I'sa lookin' firwird to seein' them thar fotos of the fancy-shmancy cityjeep.

By the way, Beee...who is "Yo Yo" and why does he have your garden tools?

Evolution of tools: stone, hammer, wrench, socket, impact, really big hammer, blue wrench.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay you want an original vehicle? There are two things you can do:
1. Actually use it as it was intened, i.e. go in the mud and have fun, but never wash it. In about three years, it will be lower. Mud is dang heavy.

2. Go to the local sign store and have them print out 3 4" tall pink letters. Ask for F, A, and G. Then have an arrow made. Put these on your windshield with the arrow pointing at the driver's seat. That is about unique enough.

Ed

I live, I breath, I Jeep

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AFG??
GAF???
FA...ohhhh

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
what discusting crap is this.. ?!?!?! im not sure why people find altering a vehicle out of its norm cool.. sounds dumb to me.. kinda like taking a sports car and raising it for off road.. dumb!!
jeep was made to go off road.. and i dont mean like these yuppie mobiles that they call SUV's off road.. im talking some serious off road.. that is what its made for.. and by gholly that is what is should do..
now for this low rider crap.. that is why i own a rx-7.. if i want to hug my butt to the ground and pull some g's around a corner then i use it.. and not my jeep..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best way to lower your Jeep .. if you really wanna do it ..

Strip the beastie to frame only, removing everything from it. Custom lowered trucks C-Notch the frame (back) and you could do the same. Next toss the front axle and replace it with an IFS unit from an S-10 and mount it "high" (that is if you wanna keep 4x4, or make your own 2x4 front end using a Cherokee front end).

New motor mounts need to be made to lift the engine over the new axle.

Chop the center out of the tub over the tranny all the way to the back, and copy the C-Notch markings and cut out the back of the tub to match. Weld in new tin in order to cover over the drivetrain.

Replace the hood with an Induction style, to fit over the air cleaner.

You may consider a 2" body drop while the body is being chopped up. This will lower the body over the wheels some more.

Finally, Ultra-low profile tires mounted on 17" rims would round out the look.

If you do most of the body cutting and welding yourself, estimate approx. 6 months of work. If you get a professional to do the body chopping and welding, estimate $15,000 - $20,000

Hope this helps ..

Vance - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1985 4x4 S-10 and 1988 Jeep YJ

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That was something my roomate always said when he would see "yo" chicks hanging out at the mall.
YO YO hmmmmm.......
I think he may have my rake too.
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif
PS. I also drive a car that sits about 4" off the ground(240sx) with 205/60 15's. Not exactly a lowered vehicle, but if I feel the urge to litter rubber and pull some g's on turns at double the posted exit speed I'll rely on that car.
To Ragex: Think about the resale value also. It is your Jeep, but it wouldn't be worth squat once you do that to it. Especially a CJ. At least not to anyone looking to buy a Jeep. Try choosing another vehicle. Honestly, in Baltimore they are not even close to one of a kind. They are everywhere. You are probably asking for a world of mechanical problems with lowering it too. Do you really want to have the only Jeep around that can't drive in the snow or go off road?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Good luck with your project though.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.