Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering i remember seeing someone was in the werks of having the lower nylon bushing for the colums done and i haven't seen anything else i was checking as i have a machinist freind that said he would make some up but dont want to spend time or money if someone is all ready doing them.

thanks ryan

· Registered
1,178 Posts
Jeff (Lizard) was going to do it, but I believe was having trouble getting them done at a reasonable price?

I sent him the dimensions for a Saginaw bushing, measured a good one off a vehicle I have. He had a batch of the Ross ones made up last year.

Brad.

G

·
You can make one yourself out of plastic plumbing parts available for less than 2 bucks from any hardware store. All you have to do is take what's left of the old bushing with you, and carefully-measure the dimensions of both the steering shaft and the inside diameter of the column. Then get something close that can be filed to fit. I don't remember exactly what I bought, but it was a plastic plumbing part that could be filed down to fit inside the column, and somehow I put a correct-size center hole in it, either it came that way or I drilled it. Fabricate the thing up, get it fitting right, install it, secure it with sheet metal screws from outside the column, lube it with dieletctic grease (not petroleum grease), install shaft, install column, bash on down the road. A good Saturday afternoon project. I did mine in three hours, complete with removal and reinstallation of the entire steering column, and I'm a slow, careful worker when it comes to my Jeepster.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.