Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned jeeps since i got my drivers license almost ten years ago, so don't get me wrong I love my jeep, for what it is capable of doing and all the hell and gone back country trails it has taken me and friends. Unforturately there is one characteristic that a jeep doesn't and probley should'nt have, the element of speed. I've been in fast cars yes, but if you haven't had the experienced of warpdrive in awhile you forget the feeling, same applies to jeeps,one forgets that slow lumbering torquery feel of climbing an incline that you would have problems walking up. Well today I had the pleasure of awakening my speed senses. My brother awoke his beast 1993 302 Mustang 5-speed after a long winter sleep. I'am tellin ya SPEED IS GOOD, that feeling you get as the cars ass squats to find grip which translates through your body as your are forced down and back in your seat. This senstion contiunes as the car is powershifted through 2nd and 3rd gear and she gives out alittle chip between gears to tell ya shes like it when you let her strech her legs! I don't know could I give up jeep for a fast car I'dont think so, but be nice to have both maybe in the next life!

too weird to live, too rare to die!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
my jeep eats up mustangs any day of the week....then i change the broken u-joint
you can have it all with a jeep

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Not that I don't like mustang gt's(I've had 2 and a 302 capri) cause I do but you really need to ride in a FAST car. Even an 11 sec. q-mile is awesome if you've never done it. If you ever get the chance drive one of the new Cobra's or a viper if you get the chance!!! As far as factory goes these are pretty tough.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifWhen you run your first 8 sec quarter you'll thik gramma shold be driving the GT./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
I'm not flaming...just ribbing/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
BTW all the GT's are a blast to drive , and do KILLER donuts too./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

"No officer I haven't been drinking , Thats just how my Jeep drives"

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know what you mean about that spped feeling. I lived in Germany for 5 years. I had an autobahn unlimited speed commute to work everyday. I drove a Jag with a 12 cylinder on that commute. Average 100 miles an hour on the autobahn, and that was without rushing it.
I'll tell you what real thrill is: Coming up on a couple of German Police hauling butt down the autubahn, blue lights flashing. I caught them, and passed them. Awesome. Running away from the blue lights, legally!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What can ya say about a fast car, been there done that. A fast Jeep, however, is a different story. Put in a 350 and see if it doesn't throw you back in your seat. It is always fun to be underestimated, especially by Mustangs.

Fun not safety is paramount

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the modified 350, and I do eat all the local mustangs with only a few exceptions. I made a mistake when I tried to run against a highlt modified one. Apparently his version of lightly modified engine, 700 horsepower, and mine were totally different. Mine has a guesstimated 400 horsepower according to the machine shop, my math, and a few other peoples math. At any rate, your mustang has the aerodynamic/ center of gravity advantage, but I will still rather have a jeep, no matter what. Just like you said. And to agree with you further more; one day I plan on owning an old corvette roadster. I fell in love when I saw my first stingray. And just on a personal note, I think the engine is overkill for a jeep. I can spin 33x12.50's with 3.54 gearing on dry pavement, but it is a lush when it comes to gas.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Yep, I eat up the Mustangs too. I only have the 305 for now but, it's the TPI version. The light fiberglass body helps too. Not only can I get that little chirp shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th, I can be running at about 20 mph in 2nd with the clutch out, put the pedal to the metal and chirp the tires. I also get 18-20 mpg if I don't play race a too much. When the 305 gives out, I'm dropping in a fresh 350 crate engine. You don't need to give up your Jeep to get that feeling of power.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That is why I kept my 240sx. It isn't the fastest thing on the road, but the little yo boys around here with their tricked out Neons have smelled the sweet smell of my Dunlops and exhaust. Only 140hp stock, but with the comp. upgrade and the split fires and modified intake she can chirp third on a good dry day. Rear wheel drive too, so smoking the rear tires from the start is fun to see since most little rice rockets only come in front wheel drive. Try doing a power slide in a Prelude, won't happen unless you want to wreck.

The only Mustangs I've ever beaten were the new one's with the V6. Kept up with a few older GT's though.

The Jeep can move out of its own way nicely too, but had to keep the rice rocket.
Bryan/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
401 Posts
Got my Fiat Spider back on the road yesterday after two years. No, it's not fast, but it HANDLES /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif. Refreshing after driving nothing but my CJ5, a pickup, and my wife's Hyundai for the past two years.

Unfortunately I ripped the rear bumper off while towing it from the backyard with my Jeep /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. With a fiberglass bodied CJ I've missed the dubious pleasure (!) of dealing with rot for the past two years.....

-Dana

It did what? Well, it's not supposed to do that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elusive ya man I can see you rig taken out some fast factory cars, but the sight of jeeps going fast is somewhat funny, odd and spokey the thought of these box shaped trucks howlen down the road with these big donut tires just hasn't and doesn't sit well with me. Not to mention that the majority of real jeeps were not designed suspension wise or gear to go fast. All the jeeps I know and have riden in track down the road more like a slinky then the gracefulness of a car. Now don't get me wrong i know jeeps have the potential to move, all its takes is a heart transplant. I once knew this guy with a cj-3 that put a 383 stroker in her, had spring over custom axles the works. Gossible truth in 4-hi he could lightem up on all 4 corners, but the scary thing about the jeep was once it got movin, as there was no rollbar and he very rarely ran with the windowsheild. The feeling i got whilel riding shotgun was very similiar to a jet-boat ride i had as a kid, i don't know engine size but do remeber large chrome headers stickin out. The jeep had the same ability and characteristics as the boat by forcing my face back to the point where i was having problem keep my head up. As well the bump factor was similiar, with the boat, at least in the boat i would of been bounced into the water "would hurt yes, but would live" the jeep on the other hand i would of ended up as road kill. Yes i have driven jeeps at normal road speed with the window down "bugs and all" and the wind factor is not to bad, i just think buddys little 3 was really movin. Maybe it was from that experience that i thought jeeps and speed probly should be mixed. As for the fast car thing, I wasn't trying to say that stangs and super fast just the fact that one forgets what speed feels like if not experience in awhile. I'am tellin ya if low 14s fells cool then 9s or 8s must be some serious 2001 warp-drive experience. Ya any cats out there that i spoke to about my 300 have a measurment on the tailhousing. Thanks

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
My friend's first car was a 1986 Acura Integra he paid $1000 for. Front wheel drive /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif 4 cylinder /wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif 4 valves per cylinder /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif and almost 200 HP stock /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif. When he did tire rotations it was basically to get tires with "some tread left" on the front again. He could whoop any of the new 4-bangers out there and a few of the 6-cylinders. To this day I still think that car was slow though! I've had my Jeep up to 90 and thats as fast as I ever really want to go with it, and its darn near stock! On a side note...my friend had a VW bug that did 10s. He wrapped it around a tree. He had a '93 Ford Ranger with the 2300 and had just bought a nice chip and superchager for it, and wrapped it around a tree before installing them. He got a nice bike soon after, but wrapped it around the hood of a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yo man your friends don't seem to have much luck wth trees! what did you say about jeep going 90, conversion 180kms damn, in a jeep? Forget that man things are too unstable, was that in a 4-banger rpms musta been in super red zone! A buddy 95 rio-grande 4banger though is smooth and comfortable at 140-150 its just the fact the little 4-banger is spin might fast!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my Jeep isnt exactly a McLaren, but I once smoked an old-school Z28 (must have been about a '77-'78). I admit it was in pretty rough shape, and the engine sounded like crap, but it did feel damn good to spank a "muscle car" with an 11 year old SUV!! I know what everyone means about speed, my friend has a VERY souped up Eclipse that runs mid 10's in the quarter, and when he really gets on the gas, you can feel your feet lift off the floorboards, and its a real trick to get your head off the headrest as that turbo forces 300 h.p. to the wheels. But I really like my Jeep, theres nothing like having the top down and the doors off on a sunny day, and watching the 33's as they stick out past the fenders. Its great!! It may not be able to whip a Cobra or a GT, but I know I could go through stuff that they cant even touch. I know comparing the off-road abilities of a Mustang to a Jeep is like comparing apples and oranges, but then again, so is comparing their speed :)

MattYJ
89YJ 4.2 5"lft 33"Firehawk ATX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.