Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The part that I am wanting to know about is about 3/4 of the way down the steering shaft. It is a small rubber coupling that joins the two different parts of the steering shaft. It seems that it has a lot of play in it, but I don't know what it is called or how to change it other than changing out the entire steering shaft. I can't find anything in Haynes. Can someone please help me, thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Rag joint

I thought what you called the rag joint was the part that was right next to the gear box, the flat disc about 1/4" thick? I have done a few searches but I am not sure that they were talking about the same part. I haven't found one at the junkyards that is tilt steering. The yards around here are pretty bad, I guess I'll have to go to Oklahoma City to try to find the whole shaft.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Where

So where exactly is the part YOU'RE talking about? in the engine compartment or under the dash? Are you talking about the rubber seal that's on the outer tube of the telescopic section? Or the plastic shim on the inner shaft that carries the flat spring? Neither of those is specific to tilt columns - every '87-97 truck (exc. maybe '97 F-150) had the same intermediate shaft, and the '80-86 was only slightly different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Where

It is in the engine compartment. I guess it is the rubber seal on the telescopic section, where the shaft changes sizes. I don't know what is holding the shaft together at that seal and I don't want to tear it apart and make it worse until I can find a replacement or know how to fix that one.

The reason that I thought I needed a tilt shaft is because of the u-joint in the upper part of the shaft. Is the u-joint in the non-tilt columns?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts

OK That's just a dust boot for the telescope. You can't hurt anything there by pulling the intermediate shaft & pulling the telescope apart. There's a little plastic clip in a notch of the smaller shaft that carries a flat spring and that's all. If you have some slop in that joint, I'd guess the plastic clip has shattered or slipped off the shaft. Pull it apart & check - you may be able to just put it back where it goes. If I had a spare, I'd snap a pic of it, but that's one of the parts that was stolen off the '96 before I bought it.

Yes, the intermediate shaft (between the steering column at the firewall and the steering gear box on the frame) is the same for all trucks - tilt or not; 2 or 4WD; '87-97. The tilt mechanism is RIGHT behind the steering wheel - not in the engine compartment.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a web site that sells new steering shafts some are original and others are upgrades.

http://www.borgeson.com/TruckProductFord.htm

I found out about this place from a TV show called "Two Guys Garage" they're the old "Crank'n'Chrome" guys or if you go way back they're the ole "Shadetree Mechanics" guys. They look like very good steering shafts and the guys on the show said they were a lot better than the original shafts. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
they changed the name of the show again? i stopped watching shortly after they became crank'n'chrome because TNN became the "national" network and screwed all the program times around. it seems like it changes weekly so i just gave up, but that was a pretty good show. awhile back you could get up early on saturday and watch 4 uninterrupted hours of gearhead shows, very nice

that u-joint instead of the original rag joint would be nice but is it really worth $225? nah, i picked up a replacement at the junkyard for 20 bucks. they sell replacement joints for those shafts at parts stores in the Help! section but i couldnt find one that fit my truck. find their website or do some shopping and maybe you'll come across one. i think ford van shafts have u-joints at the box because the shaft is so short but i'm not sure how you could graft it onto the original shaft... i wouldnt trust _anybody's_ welds for that job
maybe you could drill through it and bolt it on but i have forgotten what all that stuff looks like.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The flat spring was broke and the plastic part slid up on the smaller shaft. I made a new flat spring for it and put the plastic piece back on. It took some of the play out of the steering. Now I just have to change my ball joints next weekend.

Muddy your right TNN is gone to sh!t.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Shadetree to crank\'n\' to 2 guys

Yeah, they changed it. The new show is on Speedvision: Thursdays 7:30pm, 12:30am, Fridays 8am, Sundays 7:30am, 4pm, Tuesdays 10:30am, Take a look it is pretty good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts