Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 77 cj with a 304, power steering, and the steering is so sloppy. I have tightened up everything within the steering linkage to no avail, and from reading these posts, it seems that the power steering bell coupler right above the box is often the culprit. I bought a new one, but cannot get the shaft out of the box. Has anyone replaced this part before, and if so, can you offer me some pointers and general guidance, I am really stuck, as I have been working on this restoration for two years and this is about the last thing to do!

Does the steering shaft collapse unto itself? it seems like it wants to, but I can't get it too budge and was afraid to use a little persuasion until I know that it is supposed to do so.
Thanks in advance,
chris

·
Registered
384 Posts
Re: Loose Steering, Steering Coupler replacement h

I second the flaming river solution, it worked much better for me, but as for your issue, I ended up using a torch to heat it up, and welded an old wrench onto the flats of the shaft so that I had something to beat it apart with.. This was a 3 hour ordeal of heat, beat, spray lubricant, and beat some more.. then repeat.. In the end, I got the flaming river couplers, and some new shaft, cut to size, and installed.. Would have saved me all that work had I gone that route from the start, and simply cut the old shaft out..

It can be done though..

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

There are two bolts that hold the column up to the clutch/brake brackets under the instrument panel, and about six more that hold the plates where the column goes through the floor. If you remove them you can move the column aft an inch and then the intermediate shaft will come right out.

For about $130 I replaced both joints with off-the-shelf Spicer joints and yokes that have grease fittings and enough slip-yoke extension that the shaft can be removed easily.
Here's a link to a writeup.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts

Remove the bolt that locks the belljoint to the shaft... drop the PS box (take the 3-4 bolts out that hold it to the frame)... carefull so you don't mangle the lines...

IMHO, without dropping the box, you'll never get the shaft to "move/slide" enough to get it out. FWIW, I did it twice in the grass at the DR last year and once more here at the house. The hard part is slipping the belljoint back on the shaft (correctly oriented so the locking bolt will go thru) & then holding it up (heavy @#$%) while you get a bolt(s) started.

The box end of the belljoint is held by a large wire snapring over the seal. Also, there are 2 different shaft diameters and and the smaller dia. is not available... hopefully yours used the large one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,833 Posts

don't forget to completely remove teh bolt that goes thru the bell coupler. it sits in a groove in the shaft, and the coupler won't come off unless that bolt is removed. Then I'd drop the steerring box. much easier than pulling the column!

·
Registered
854 Posts

I prefer the pull the column method. I can get mine out in about 15 minutes. The other thing to look at is the bottom of the steering column. There is a set of bearings in my 80's era CJ. The bearing and a plastic cover and a external clip are cheap to replace and easy to do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

thanks for all the advice guys---i cant wait to get on it this weekend.

cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts