Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a slice about an inch long on the inner sidewall of one of my tires. is it patchable? or am i screwed. tire is almost new. must have caught a sharp rock in the quarry yesterday. went flat overnite. could i put a tube in it maybe?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
I have patched sidewalls before with great results, do a search and you'll find the magic formula. I have run mine for over a year (only off-roading of course) with no tube and at 4 psi, and it still holds air fine. I would patch it and with a tube I'd have no problems running it on the road, I just couldn't find a 33" tube and use my tires for off-roading anyway.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

Attachments

G

·
I don't know if they have them for light truck tires, but for a tractor tire, you can get a boot. It is a large piece that fits inside the tire, and covers the hole and more. We have run them in tractors with tubes and had pretty good luck. It wouldn't work too well for a tire that is going to see the road, because it would be next to impossible to balance, but if you are only looking for off-road, they work pretty good.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Boots are available in several sizes and thinknesses. They often don't work well for sidewalls because the flex tears them loose. A boot and a tube would probably hold up for off road use but I would never trust it for highway driving. You might also check to see if the tire has a road hazard warranty. Some do and that would help cover the cost of a replacement.

BP

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.