Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'll be looking for a Jeep tow vechile to tow my YJ and trailer. My plans are to head out west (I'm in MA) for a Jeep vaca in the next 2-3 years, and I want something in a Jeep that will do the job.

I'm looking at V8 Grands, and I'd like to know what to avoid, as in different years, trannys, etc. I know there's an aluminum rear end around 95 that may be something to look out for (?) A search on towing didn't really return much. I'm not looking to spend $15K, so in the 5-6-7K range would be good. The 5.9 liter 98 may be a little out my reach $ wise, but I keep my eye out for a deal.

Do any of you guys tow with the 4 liter?? I'm guessing that's not great, but I have seen factory tow packages on 4 liter Cherokees -- is that a viable option?

Is the factory tow package a 'requirement'? What exactly is in that?

My trailer is a good one - not very old, and has brakes on both axles.

Thanks for any help
Pete

G

·
Look for my earlier posts about xj tow capacity on this forum. Sounds like you have alot of time. Given the distance from Mass. to some unknown parts West (you didn't say where) I'd buy new or damned close to it. Something factory tow equipped to handle the combined weight of your trailer, trail rig, support gear and any other passengers you might care to haul/tow.
Factory tow packages usually include things like a suitable hitch-matched to the vehicles tow capacity, sometimes you might get heavier springs and or shocks, tranny cooler, maybe a differnt rear (in the case of some of the older XJ's so equipped) and wiring for the trailer lights. The bigger the vehicle and its tow capacity the more involved the factory tow equip. GM for example gets into trans brakes and some more stuff... I would go diesel with a heavy van dualie like 350 Ford or 3500 chevy w/6Xdrive and a 5th wheel tow setup. Saw such a rig towing a 30ft+ boat yesterday with New York tags heading north on US 301. A similarly equipped p/u would be just as nice, prolly cheaper and perhaps even easier to find used. Alot of times you can find fairly decent deals on these things around horse farms.
Driving a tow vehicle over short distances at or near max tow capacity is one thing. Long distances will not be fun at all (for you or the the tow vehicle). So seriously consider what you want to do, find out how much weight you are dealing with then go a bit heavier.
Finally, I have in my office somewhere a mag article which critiqued an 03 GC which towed an SWB flat fender in the snow on a rather long trip. They had nothing but good to say about it. Engine was the HO V8 w/quadra drive. If I find it I'll post back about the particulars...
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John - thanks a lot.

Yes, I have seen some articles on the Grand with respect to towing, and it seems that most info I see is positive as to using a Grand as a tow vehicle. I checked the other post you referenced, and found some more as well. Seems a Grand would work, but it should be a V8, and it looks like the factory tow package is desireable.

I guess I'm looking for info for or against using a Grand, from those who do, and which years to avoid, if there are any that have less than desireable components.

I currently use a 79 F250 4WD with an NP435, which, while it is a great tow vehicle, is a tad tired and 'rough around the edges' to be using on long distance trips.

Thanks again for your help,
Pete

G

·
I have an 04 Overland with HOV8 and factory tow package. Other than I have lil knowledge of the GC's. There were some probs with early versions of the Quadradrive so beware of those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.