Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at one of those which part do I swap first kind of dilemma's and I'd like some input...depending on the feeback or suggestions that I receive will determine which course I'll take first....(hey, its hot and in this heat I get lazy) I could do it all at once but this heat calls for one step at a time.

Heres a little background; a couple of weeks ago, I heard about a little postal jeep that was for sale...I've been having trouble with my CJ7's early 80's I- 258 and its low speed mis- firing on the #6 cyclinder. So, I was interested in the Postal's motor. The jeep itself had seen a past life both as a Postal carrier and a pizza delivery jeep....A ripped sign denoting speedy delivery was still readable on the back end...( I was thinking it saw some pretty good maitenace over its life.... OK, I looked her over and primed her up, hooked the battery' and turned the key.....the 232 sounded great,,,idled very nice ,,,truely a little gem hiding in this fellows backyard. I did notice it was running an air pump and no power steering. The other thing I noticed was a trace of rust in the radiator,,,,,but also considered the discoloration as being Bars Leak..an anti leak compound. Still, the motor ran great,,,, I forked over $300.00 for it and brought home...by the way the rear end on this one is a Dana 44,,,personally I never knew that, (it was a two wheel auto)

OK now for the problem:....the 258 is out,,,and the 232 is in,,,also did a carb swap,,,(,the postal's was leaky)....disconnect the air pump,,,put in the power streering,,,and the power brakes....the postal didnt have power brakes either. Well, I had the 232 out for its first off-road ride the other day; In driving it awhile I found I was very happy at the way it performed,,,,,a sweet little idle, with that low end torque I like so well driving in the woods,,,,I couldnt have asked for a better motor. Then, just when I was begining to self congratulate myself on my new find, I stopped to clear a deadfall.

I hooked up my winch and running a snatch block....began pulling the tree off the road. It was at that point when I heard a gurgling coming from my radiator...nothing seroius,,but it was overheating,,,,blowing fluid out the overflow hose. Now I know its been hot,,,and those woods were very humid,,but I dont think,,,,the motor should have over heated.
so my question(s) are,,,
(1): I dont have an overflow bottle,,,is that all I'll need to eliminate the overheating,,,,it wasnt blowing out that much fluid..(ie, it wasn't that serious. BUT>>>it was spitting out and it had some deep radiator gurgles. I've never used a overflow bottle before on any other jeep motor. But then I've never had a 232 either..
(2) Do I just change the thermostat.... I dont have clue how old it is...I think the motor is about a 78, It could be clogged,,,that discloration was indeed rust, but it is hot outside and I'm not in mood to change it if I dont have to,,,
(3)The water pump...it seems to be fine,,no loose bearings,,no leaks, but I have learned you cant always judge a book by its cover..or a water pump for that matter.....it may not be strong enough for a good steady flow rate,,,,,especially after noting the amount of rust I flushed out of the system.(using my old radiator),, personally.....its my last choice..not to mention the most work,,,

Anyway,,,thats what my dilemma is,,,,will one solution do the trick..or will I have to address each one. What do you guys think???

DrummondCJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
...every motor after running for a while will cause pressure inside a sealed system. 1 possitive note. Since the vehicle was a delivery vehicle there is no doubt that the vehicle is there only to make money...if it breaks down they will fix it. So change the thermostat and gasket and get a 2 liter Coke bottle and stick that tube in there and you shoud be OK. Do you have a fan shroud?...that will help take some of the heat out of your radiator...is your fan a clutch or solid fan?...long periods of running without movement and a bad or clogged radiator will cause your Jeep to overheat also...for some of the few trail rigs only that I work on I try to have them to use a direct motor driven fan which obviously will turn as fast as the RPM's of the motor=constant cooling for the slow trail rides with V8's under small hoods...

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would flush the system ,2nd replace thermostat,and the radator cap, you cant belive what a new cap will do . ever pound lowers the boiling point a few degrees ,so if you got a weak spring in the cap it will over heat , and a rusty termostat will really make it puke , I also you redline water weter aditive it lowers the boiling point 15*F it does a bunch of stuff for the system!

g

·
Registered
365 Posts
After I did my body lift I left out my shroud maybe I should put it back in 'cause on the stock gauge I run at about 100 is that normal?? thx 88 yj

Ride 'N' High

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, all along, I knew the thermostat was going to be replaced. and I'd run an overflow,,but I hadn't considered a shroud.. I'll have to see what I can come with on that. I dont recall ever seeing one on the older CJ's..70's era. If I'm not mistaken, the 80's models had them.

Its a motor driven fan, so unless the water the impeler in the pump is also clogged up,( the water I flushed out was really bad) I should be fine,,,,I guess I'll know more after I pop the new thermostat in...I'll also pick up a new cap while I'm at it

Thanks for the thoughts......

DrummondCJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts