Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have had my eyes open for a while for a nice 360 to swap in but have had no luck. They are everywhere but I can't find one that runs good with low miles and is cheap! It is always one or the other. Anyone on the board here have one for sale that they know runs? Throw me a price if you do and maybe freight wouldn't be that bad.

Right now I have a 258 and was thinking about just getting a built 258 and then not having to worry about the motor mounts, radiator and exhaust. But a built 258 seems to be quite a bit. Does anyone have any sites with stores that sell engine kits? I don't really know where to start pricing a rebuild out. thanks for the help. mIke

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I hear you brother, been keeping an eye out for a V-8 myself (no rush, waiting for the right one). It seems to follow the old joke: pick any two, but you can't have all three...

You can have cheap and runs good, but it won't be low mileage.
You can have low mileage and runs good, but it won't be cheap.
You can have cheap and low mileage, but it won't run good.

So if anybody knows a decent 302, 350, or 360 (carb'ed) near Atlanta, would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Northern Auto Parts at "http://www.naparts.com/" has some of the best prices for Federal Mogul Engine Kits I've seen. They were 40 to 60 dollars higher for a the F-M Prmium Engine kit that I got at an employee price.
I bought a wagoneer for 200 bucks. The front axle sold for 250.00. The transmission went for 100. I sold the trnasfer case for another 175.00. I got cash for door hinges, moldings, AM/FM CB Radio, 2 of the stock rims and some other misc. pieces. I would have sold other parts but since it was an Outer Banks, NC beach buggy, every panel and the frame was rusted. I saved a few of the other pieces and junked the rest.
I easily doubled my money and got to keep the engine. I figure if I decide to actually sell the onboard air brackets and weber carb from my old 258, I'll only be down a few hundred. I did get real lucky and received a set of stock CJ V-8 motor mounts for free.
If you have the place to strip down a waggie and save the part's for later resale, try it.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
My brother Mike is selling his '87 GW with a 360 and auto tranny. I think it's going pretty cheap, but not like $250 cheap. It's in Warren (Maine) and still runs good, would be on the road except for the rust. YOu can contact him at [email protected]. tell him I sent you. If you don't get in touch with him, let me know.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Take your time for sure. When you jump at the first one you see, 2-3 more will come along better.
For instance, I put in an oil burning POS that was so wornout, I couldn't afford the oil & plugs! I took my time and found a 304 that had been rebuilt 5k miles prior/5 years ago. The seller bought the Jeep for everything BUT the engine and let it go for $400 (he had a FI 258). 2 months later, my buddy called to say he just bought a 401 w/ hi comp. pistons, thumper cam, aluminum intake, Holley, electronic ign., roller rockers, & massive head work with less than 5K miles on it. As it turned out, he had to have the crank turned because the mains were shot (everything else was virginal...go figure), but still, $400 for a built to the gills 401 ain't bad (yes, I cried when he told me too
).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Well dang Dave, if you hear anything like that, I would drive to Raleigh for a decent engine!!!

G

·
Bluesman2a I know where a possible 360 donor is in Flowery Branch. My parents neihbors have a Wagoneer thats been sitting in there back yard for some time. I'll get my dad to ask about it and get some info. It should be a good donor for axles also. I think its the narrow trac with Dana 44s. I'll let you know.
My 360 has about 40,000 since rebuild and runs like a million bucks.I know some people swear by the Chevy swaps but i'm very happy with my 360.

Zack,
'80 CJ7

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.