Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to find dimensions for the texas bolt pattern on the dana 18/20 transfer case?

I'm still looking for a Dana 18 transfer case cheap too.

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Looking 4 trans/xfer case bolt pattern dimensi

Wow, that would be wonderful if you would share those. Dxf would be my choice. I am confused as to why there are 6 holes though.

· Registered
2,280 Posts

The pic I posted is half of the Jeep T-18 to Dana 300 adapter I've designed. The six holes in this pic are the locations where the Dana 20 adapter is bolted to a Jeep T-18. Also included in the pic I posted is the openings for the Jeep T-18 shifter rails. I might need to change the colors, but there are two recessed circles for the Dana 20 adapter to mount to a Jeep T-18. The measurements to the Texas bolt pattern I have on another computer and I will need to get back to you later with that .DXF file. Please send me a private email where you would like me to send the .DXF files.
dave

· Registered
233 Posts
WILL - please don't tell me you are getting rid of the QT for a Dana 18! There are only a few of us QT guys left.

Seriously though - there is a guy over at IFSJA.ORG that was selling his dana 18/dana 20 hybrid case a few months ago. Last I knew he hadn't sold it. I think he wanted $150 for it. Search the for sale forum for "hybrid"

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well, I'm only getting rid of it because of the front locker. I do plan to eventually use part of it though. I'm going to machine a plate and a couple of shafts etc. to mount the low range unit to the pto port of the dana 18. The 700r4 is the same length as the 400 which means i don't have room for a gear reduction between the trans and transfer case. It will make a good winter project though and might be ready to install in the spring. With that and the 3.54 gears in the axles I have sitting here, I'll have a total reduction of 68.5:1. If I swap to lower gears later, it will be even better. Right now I have the 400 with 4.1 gears. The interesting thing is with the 700 and 3.54 gears, the first gear, direct, final drive ratio is almost identical.

· Official Historian
8,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'm looking for a whole transfer case. If I can't bore out the case to 1-1/4" intermediate shaft, I have a dana 20 I can get that I can swap the guts into.

· Registered
233 Posts

Not sure what you mean when you referenced the "front locker" but if you are concerned about running a locker with the QT then you could just convert the QT to part time - this will be much cheaper than swapping in a new t-case. I think you are getting some other benefits though with the swap so my suggestion may not be applicable.

Just a word of caution - I think the the Dana 18 case is narrower (side to side) than the QT. The case may not be shorter but the front output is closer to the center of the vehicle and this could cause the front d-shaft to hit the tranny oil pan. Something to look into!

FYI - the hybrid case I referenced is a Dana 20 (1.25 version) with Dana 20 guts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts