Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lookin\' for rust, need advice

I'm considering buying an '85 CJ7 and it has a new, professional paint job on it. Really nice looking, but, I was wondering, how is a good way to tell if there's any body rust under that new paint?
Thanks from Texas.

jpjeep

·
Registered
536 Posts
Re: lookin\' for rust, need advice

ya gotta get right in close and really look,
look from the front to back on the sides, (put ur face right next to the fender and gaze towards the rear). see any wavy areas? that would indicate the presence of BONDO, a sure sign of previous repair.

grab a flashlight and wear your grubby clothes cause u have to get under the vehicle and look hard for signs of rust.
mind you, there will be rust under there,surface rust ain't too deadly yet, u are concerned with ROT. especially on the frame, body mounts, wheel wells, and any of those spots where dirt and water can accumulate.
don't be afraid to poke at any suspicious areas(with ur hand as opposed to a hammer, after all, it's not yours yet), be suspicious of an area that feels "spongy".
that's all i can think of for now, hope itsa solid one, (or at least fixed well).

jimbo

'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Look at the body mounts, floor and at the seams where the floor tub meets the sides of the jeep.

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts

Use a magnet. The places it doesn't stick are bondo. Lift the carpet and check the floor boards. The
most nortorious place for a Jeep to rust is where the rear fender wells weld to the tub and either side of
the tailgate on the rear. Don't forget the frame from the rear axle back and the both rear crossmembers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Oh, I know all about CJ7 rust. All the above are great suggestions, but don't forget straight down from the front door hinges. There
is an important brace there. Look underneith the roll bar mount, as water can pool there.
The magnet is a great idea, but make sure that you use a weak magnet. If the magnet is too strong the magnet will stick right
through the bondo, as there is often wounded metal underneith the bondo.
Good luck,
Ethan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.