Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was a long shaft t18 ever factory in any CJ's? I have a chance to pick up another t18 for $150. He says it's a long shaft t18 bolted to a dana 20 that he took out of a CJ. It's in pretty good (at least from the pictures I have seen) shape so I thought I'd pick it up. Let me know what youguys think.

Alec

G

·
Jeep T-18s used a slightly longer input shaft than Ford T-18s. I assume this is what he is refering to.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"

G

·
Alec,

There are so many versions of the t-18 transmission that it is difficult to tell what he means by a long shaft version. I have personally seen t-18s in jeep vehicles with input shaft lengths ranging from 7.5 inches to 16 inches. However, I have never seen a "long" shaft version (i.e. 12 or 16 inches) in a CJ. Of course that does not mean that it doesn't exist, but if it does i don't think its too common. There is a guy who sells t-18 input shafts who knows more about this stuff then me. His name is Mike Monahan and he sells t-18 adapters and various parts, including new input shafts. He may be able to give you more specific information. He can be reached at [email protected]. Also, the Advance Adapters sales catalog and Jeep Vehicle Swap booklets have some information about the many t-18 versions out there. By the way, I just got finished (literally) rebuilding and installing a Ford t-18 into my 1985 CJ. I used the Advance Adapters t-18 to Dana 300 kit. The instructions were lousy, but the quality and fit of the parts was top rate. It turned out great and i love the t-18; better gearing and much stronger than the t-5 it replaced. Hopefully this helped. $150 for a good t-18 is a good price, I hope you can make it work. Let me know how it turns out. Good luck.

Todd McArthur ([email protected])

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he said that if I had the 258 it would bolt right on with the bellhousing he had. I am only going on what he said as I haven't seen the trannsmission yet.

Alec

G

·
Alec,
I also have a long shaft version of the T-18 that came out of a '73 CJ5. I have a short shaft version currently in my '75. The long shaft that I have is about 3" longer than the short one. I believe that it is around 10.5" long. Do you want the T-18 for the granny gear? Most of the long shaft CJ versions don't have the granny gear. The long shaft was in the '71 to '76 CJ's and it had the 4.03 first gear (vs the 6.32 granny). If you want to, I can measure exactly how long the input is on the long version tonight and post it for you tomorrow.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be great if you could you measure it for me! At least I know what I am looking at now. I gues its a t18 with the 4.03 first gear then huh?

ALec

G

·
Hey Alec,

I just went through a LONG SHAFT T-18 (with granny) swap into my CJ. The T-18 with the long shaft is probably NOT from a CJ but from a full size J-Truck with a V8. If you take a look at the bellhousing and there is a 4 3/4" adapter (pretty square) between the bellhousing itself and the tranny than you have the EXACT setup that i had. The T-18 i started with had a 13 1/2" input shaft. The reason YOU DO NOT WANT THIS IN YOUR CJ is because you will loose a GREAT AMOUNT of Driveline length (you will already be loosing 3" with the SHORT shaft T-18 because it is longer)in the rear and depending on how much lift you have it may be unsuitable (Even with CV shafts). I decided to go with the HICKS 4x4 Short Shaft kit ($185) to solve this problem. While i am having my mechanic do the short shaft conversion he is also going to give it a complete overhaul. I am swapping OUT a Stock 3Spd (T-150) and the bellhousing is the EXACT same so i will be gaining over 5" of driveline by swapping to a short shaft. I would recommend this swap for sure and everyone i have talked to that has done it loves the results. Let me know what happens

Good Luck

Kevin Speicher
President
New England 4x4 Club
http://www.ne4x4.com
79 Jeep CJ-7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.