Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to pick up a set of spare axles for my rear Dana 35 along with a Lockright in a package deal. My first question would be how much is this combo worth? The axles are in good condition and the lockright has never been used (its for a non-abs carrier, he has an abs one, go figure) So how much would these two be worth? Also, what are the onroad consequences of putting a lockright in the rear? I'm in college, so my rig still takes me to work and back and forth from school. Will this simply add a slight difference that I'll have to get used to, or should this be reserved for trail only rigs? Thanks

MudFlap 87 YJ POS!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
A locker can be used in the rear end for street as well as off-road. You will notice some weird stuff if you punch it coming out of corners etc.... Not sure on a price, maybe $150-200 for everything?

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got a rear lock rite and love it. It took just a couple of days to get used to it, and now I hardly notice it at all.
A new lock rite can be had for $225-250 or so, and I've seen axle shafts going for $150 a pair. So what is he asking for it all?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JON,
do you have a lockright in your d35? I've been told not to waste money in my Dana 35 because they are so weak. Especially weak with a locker.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm... the jury is out on the D35s. Basically, they're fine for most trails/tires. Once you exceed 33's and do SERIOUS rockcrawling, you could get into trouble. 200 bucks for a lockrite in a D35 is a LOT cheaper than 3k for a Currie D44. Run 'em till you break 'em is my new motto! /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Jon - YJ94
http://www.obsessiveoffroad.com

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I also have an 87 and had a lock right in it, with 33's didn't like the way it handled and got rid of it, (the lock right) but they work really well off road. I had the chance to get ARB's and did. love that set up. Been running D35 with 33x12.50's for about 3 years now and 32x 11.50's before that since 87 with no problems, and that has been over both Woodpeckers here in AZ. and a lot of other trails. The handling that I didn't like was on a wet road, and we get those occasionally here, it had a tendency to slide one way or the other when stopping or taking off. Just a flip of the coin which way it went. Also the wife thought the rear end was coming out when the lock right popped after a sharp corner. Other than that it was great.
GP'n

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
My motto is the same as YJ94, run it till it breaks! Which probably will happen soon after the 35's go on.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I run lockrights front and rear in my daily driver YJ. I am in college right now too, so I couldn't afford to put in D44's with all the goodies. I say go for it. The D35 is strong enough if you don't hammer the gas all the time and have your tire spinning wildly. In my opinion it is a good step towards building up a Jeep. You can always sell the axle and locker later on when it become a more serious trail rig and you have the money to upgrade axles. It will take a day or two to get used to driving on the street with a locker of any kind.

Aaron Molson.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaron,
Does the front lockright not affect the handling in 2wd. With a vacuum disconnect type front axle only one axle shaft disconnects-which is ok with an open diff, but with a locker it seems you would have drag on the other front tire even in 2wd? Is this a problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jun11, in a Wrangler with a front locker the front driveshaft will turn even in 2 wheel drive. If the front driveshaft is not straight or balanced
it will cause a vibration.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this ok for the vehicle? It won't hurt to run a locker in the front of a YJ with the vacuum disconnect? Mine is mainly for off road use anyway. But I have yet to get a locker for the front axle because of this worry. I now have a BDS rock lock to replace the vacuum disconnect. Could I then run a locker in front and have 3wd when the Rock lock is not engaged (one side of the axle shaft turning in front and the other not)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jun11- Yes, with the Rock Lock not engaged you are in 3 wheel drive mode.

and yes I have a lock rite in my D35c. I paid $100 w/ installation from a guy in my club who upgraded to the Super 35 kit. It's been in for about a year, and 15K miles. Or course this is a 4 banger with 31's...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh, I have a V8, 33's, with 4.11 gears. I'm still scared up putting in a locker in my rear d35.
Anyway, with the lockright in the front axle with the rocklock disengaged, this will allow only one wheel in front to pull for easier steering, but will it cause the locker to be more loud, pop, vs. when the rock lock is engaged??
If not, maybe I should upgrade to a locker in front with the stock D30 front axle, and keep the rear as is until I break it, then upgrade to the ford 8.8 with a locker????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, it does not effect the handling with the locker in the front. The drive shaft does turn all the time though. If it wasn't ballanced you would get vibrations. That is easily fixed at a driveline shop though. It's not like I'm driving around town in 3 wheel drive, the transfer case is still in 2HI. I installed the front locker in the fall and did not like driving in 4HI in the snow with it. It wandered all over the road and was scarry in corners.Off roud though, I was able to climb slopes in the snow (20") that I was not able to do in the summer before I had lockers. They are worth every penny. I like my lockrights, some people swear by detroits, but they are expensive ($700-800 CDN each). I bought both my lockrights for $730 CDN and installed them myself. If I had bought Detroits it would have cost me $500 to have the pair installed. That, to me, is too much money to sink into axles that I know won't be on my Jeep for more than a year and a half. This way I can take them off and sell them to a fellow Jeeper who is just getting started and they will get decent axles with 4:10's and be locked F/R. I see it as a trade-up program of sorts. :)

Aaron Molson.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What YJGUY said is true for when you're in 2WD. When in 4WD, it will do exactly what you think it will jun11. It will disengage one wheel so that you are in three wheel drive for better turning ability.
I don't remember if it ratcheted around sharp corners or not though...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info. I was just wandering if the locker would be unusually loud (popping, banging, etc)with the rock lock disengaged but in 4wd, because it works off of torque. One front axle shaft would be engaged and one not. Just like unlocking one hub for better steering/turning. Does the locker sense this difference in axle shaft torque and cause the locker to act improper or not??

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The lock right doesn't care about or sense the disengaged right wheel, the popping should not occure because there is no force on the right side to make a drag or increase in rotation on the locker. the locker and left wheel will do what the transfer case wants it to do and the right wheel is just following along for the ride,(freewheeling so to speak). Ingage the slip yoke on the axle and then it is tied to the left side and transfer case and the popping will begin as in normal operation. does this make sense?
GP'n

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.