Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one explain about lockers to me? I know what they do I would like to all the different types on the market for front and rear price and pros and cons. I have heard people say that they effect the driveability on the road if so how? just trying to get a good understanding thanks.

· Registered
4,757 Posts
I'm in the mood to type .. so here is my idear of them locker thingys..
jeeps are not truly 4wd vehicles... whenever there is a difference of torque on the wheels of the same axle, the tire that will spin easiest will spin and give little traction. this is done for gas milage and cornering concideration(outside tire turns faster on corners than the inside). now a limited slip will allow some movement in the differential for cornering, but when there is torque applied to the akle, it will lock the tires together.. many vehicles come with limited slips in the rear axle, but not in the front... it gets kinda hairy when you are cornering and the front tires lock together.. this is only a concern if you are in 4wd or if you have automatic hubs. a true locker(ie ARB or detroit) will lock the tires under torque and keep them locked until the torque is removed. they are much more aggressive and give truly positive traction, but the tend to wear out tires a little quicker and(at least my detroits) make strange noises and pop and make metallic noises and well..you get used to them. the ARB has only one side effect since it can be turned off... it is pretty expencive... this isn't everything, but i hope it helps a little
~~Elusive~~

· Registered
1,401 Posts
Well, basically the left and right tires/wheels used to be mounted on a common shaft, simple and good. The drawback is when you turn a corner one tire will skid because they are both are "locked" and must rotate at the same speed.
Add engine/transmission bla bla bla.... that turn a driveshaft, that turns a pinion gear, that turns a ring gear, that turns the carrier, which houses the "open" differential (aka spider gears) in the middle, to allow the tires to differentiate, (turn at different speeds when like when cornering)
Now this is great, but when one tire starts to slip/spin (loose traction) the "open" differential allows all the engine torque to go to the spinning tire, leaving the other (the one with good traction) sitting still.
To try and get the best of both they made "limited slips"/"posi traks"/"trak-locs" they all do the same basic thing, creat friction in an "open" differential to send some torque to the tire with less traction but still allow complete differentiating (slipping) when cornering. (when new or in good condition they work ok, but when worn out, they act just like an open differential)
Now comes the Spool, a solid piece that replaces the complete differential and carrier and keeps both tires locked together all the time, (great for a dragster, not so good for turning corners at the mall)
We all don't like "spools", but want both tires locked sometimes.
So we have true "Lockers" that physically lock both tires together sometimes and allow them to act like open differentials also. Truely the best of both words, some do have drawbacks, (on road manners differ between makes and models).

so thats basically the way i see it anyway, FYI, Leonardo DaVinci invented the differential in his helicopter design. (long before the time of jeeps)/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

3/4tonYJ
My Jeep Page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good explaination 3/4tonyj, but you forgot to mention the fact that lockers disengage in when turning corners unless gas is applied, torque causes the lockers to lock up. And we all don't dislike spools, I'm kinda thinking about one just to gain a little more control that I lost with my lock-rite. I'm not really that concerned about the tire wear, I think that it will be minimal, as most of my driving is hiway. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the answers are good but how about when the jeep is in 2wd. and the hubs un locked do the lockers still effect the driveability for the front end. They would have to effect the rear but how bad and how. And are there certain models that would be better or worse> I like the sound of the ABR but the price makes me ask more questions Thank for all your help. David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With true freewheeling hubs there is no effect on driveability. But, in vehicles like a YJ, you aree going to have increased wear on fron end parts. As far as a locker for the rear goes, I've been driving with a Detroit in the rear of my CJ for a couple months now, and like one of the previous posts said, behavior and sound are a little strange, but no way can you beat the traction. It is a truly amazing experience driving a vehicle with REAL 4 WD.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.