Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i aquestion for ya'll
my limited slip works fine in the rear of my 80 and i have been kicking around adding a locker what would i have to gain buy putting it in the rear ver.adding it to the front and having a limited slip rear instead

G

·
Over the years I've engaged in several debates regarding if only one locker, front or rear? The answer is not as clear-cut as you think (most everyone will automatically spit out "rear first" 'cause that is what they've been told), and the truth lies here in the middle: no matter which you lock you'll notice a HUGE advantage in traction and off-road ability.

I've personally seen vehicles, incl TTB Broncos, do very well on the trail w/a front locker only, and sometimes I will only engage my front ARB. Be wary of armchair advice.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'll second that advice. I would only add that in your case lal357, as was my case, you have a LS in the rear. Though these are not very effective if the stock ones, they are better than nothin'. So, I elected to add an ARB to the front. that setup had worked well for me for a number of years. Be careful though, which type of locker you choose for a front application. The ARB, IMO, is the ideal for the front.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
i too see a front locker as a better choice for several reasons. first one is that a new carrier is required in the dana axles anyway for low gears, but not for ford rears so you have to put money toward a new carrier anyway. second is that the rear axle tends to flex quite a bit more than the front, thus you're more likely to have a front tire in the air which needs a locker to keep the one on the ground going. third is that in certain situations you might need your steering axle to have better grip for control when going up a muddy slope or climbing out of ruts etc. fourth is obvious... no change in street manners! some say it helps in snow or what-not but having both tires going the same speed will make the truck want to power slide. fifth reason is that for mud use, typically the higher terrain has better traction potential, so when climbing out of a hole or even up a rock ledge you might get more traction out of a front axle locker. the downside of course are that front axle ujoints tend to break when locked up and depending on conditions more weight will be transferred to the rear axle and the fronts wont help as much.

lockers from the eyes of muddy.... feel free to disagree

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you are going to lock the front I'd only go with an ARB. I've known guys to break axles constantly and one of them was running a Detroit Trutrack. I'm tellin' ya though. You wont regret a Detroit Locker for the rear diff.
NORM

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info ya'll my thinking was with the limit in the rear i do have both tires going after the take up but in the front only one tire as was leaning towards a ox or arb so i can pop it in and out as i need it the only set back i will see is at some point in the future i do want to try a sas swap might use the truck as a tester then if it works and i like it i can do my bronco i have not checked into junk yards yet but heard there is one that is trucks and 4x4's only about 80 miles south of me but hel$ it might be worth the trip

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
i lean the oppostie way form you guys. i have experience with the rear locker first, then the fornt. the fornt will help rockcrawling, but the rear will help most other stuff such as hill climbs and trail riding. the steeper the hill, the more weight on the rear axle, more traction with a locker.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
never thought about that burned for the most part what i'll be doing is hill climbing and didnt think about the weight be transfered to the rear guess thats why i ask and research before i do something

1 - 8 of 8 Posts