Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm, been thinking about this for a while now...
I need better traction. Now how to get it? I'd like a locker, but the way i hear they drive, esp in higher power shorter wheelbase rigs, I'm worried. (CJ5, V8) I also like to go out and play in the snow a lot and a lot of this is on snowcovered roads when everybody else can't make it. A locker would be great while I'm offroad, but I use my jeep about 60% on the road. I don't have unlimited funds and plan on doing only one axle at a time. What I'm thinking about is limslip rear, locker front. But how will this front locker be in the snow? limslip around... will it give me the traction to justify the cost? I'm open to all ideas. Lunchbox is preferred b/c I've never messed with gears before and it is cheaper than a detroit, but I have to learn sometime. Sorry for the length, thanks for any and all opinions and the help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My CJ-7 was running limited slips both ends until last Nov., now have a Detroit Locker in the rear and Lock Rite up front. No
question, the lockers are the ONLY way to go, just take a little getting used to. BTW, I live in the 4 corners in NM, alt. of about
6000 ft., so we do get snow. Even with the strange behavior in slippery stuff there is no question about the way to go--LOCKERS!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
just save a little longer and go with an arb. that's the route i plan to take. maybe by the end of summer i'll have enough to do the rear. just having a locker in the rear should make a really big difference. for the front, you could always leave a hub unlocked so you can turn in the snow. of course your front and rear driveshafts will still be locked together making turning difficult without lockers. quadratracs rule for snow.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Now might be a good time to fill out that Profile, would help answer a question.

What are you running for tires and axle ratios? If 33" and under, I'd recommend a Lockright or EZ Locker for the rear. I wouldn't weld the spiders due to the horrible actions on the snow. The Lockrights are a little more mild mannered and will handle better on corners (coast through them, no power). A LSD would be nice, but you'll be wishing for more traction later. As to the ARB, yes, it'd be nice, but on a limited budget, it might be a ways off. The added benefit of a Lockright is you could sell it later and recoup most of the cost as long as it's in decent shape. We are always tossing lockers around up here when we upgrade. I'll upgrade to Detroits someday, maybe a full spool in the rear, or ARB's, and I'll stick the Lockrights in another jeep.

For the front I'd go LSD, no locker. In the snow, you want to be able to steer, getting underway is secondary. The way a locker pulls and reacts would be dangerous on snowy roads if used all the time. Not to mention the stress on the front end. A LSD will be bad enough, you'll have to drive it a little easier on snow than you do now at any rate due to the mannerisms or both Lockers and LSD's.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.