Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of changing rear ends, and matching gears in the front. I thought that this would be a good time to install
a locker in the front. Which one works best in the D30 front end? Detriot, Lock Right, or what.. Any tips or suggestions would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What vehicle. If it is one of the Jeeps without locking hubs, an ARB is by far the best choice. Otherwise you have accelerated
wear and other problems. With locking hubs, a LockRite is by far the easiest, Detroit the most durable. Either one though, in order
to turn on something like slickrock, you will need to temporarily unlock a hub at times, you wouldn't have to do that with an ARB.
But, cost is the biggie with an ARB.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brad, the other option for easy turning on slick rock is to use a twinstick on the transfercase and shift the front into neutral.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Absolutely right. I even got a spare shifter from Jaffer, i'm going to make my own. Just spaced it off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, its the one without locking hubs, but it is the older model with the axle disconnect on the right axle. My thinking is, on
slick rock or some similar surface, just knock it in 2wd for the turn. With the disconnect, it should free up the frontend. The
only problem is the front drive shaft would turn all the time. This shouldn't be a problem, because this is an off road vehicle only.
I have never had a locker in the front. So, is my thoughts correct or not???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off road only, the wear factor is not an issue. The only problem with just putting it in 2wd is the loss of traction in the front, which
under certain circumstances you may still want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.