Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of ordering a locker and gears for my jeep. I alread have an ARB for the front, and was interested in another for the rear. However, the salesperson I talked to tried to convince me to go to a Detroit in the rear. That scares me! I do a lot of mountian driving on icy and off-camber roads. Am I justified in being hesitant for this application? Should I put in the Detroit, save the $200 for other upgrades, or go with the best? I have no experience with these, just preconcieved notions.

PS I flat tow this quite often and I am also interested in the manners and wear aspects of the Detroit .
Thanks, jfralph, 86 cj7 with D30/D44

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
The only problem with ARBs front and rear is that if you lose your air supply and even your back up if you have one. Then you are left with open diffs front and rear. "That will never happen", Humm let me think,"Oh yeah I remember" last year while on Rubicon I had my ARB compressor burn up(bad windings on the motor), "No problem" I have a spare CO2 tank that can be quick connected into the entire air system, and will run an ARB for a month. Thats funny its all frosty and completely empty, it had plenty of air when my freind Will(known to his freinds as Willy Breakit) used it last night.Oh no a hose fitting pulled partialy off of the hose, and the regulator valve left cracked open. For a while we had a rough time with open diffs and I couldnt do some of the stuff I would have liked to have done. In the afternoon we borrowed an old barely running compressor(it ran just all of the air was going every where but where we needed it),I finally got the idea to have a freind with a York Compressor back fill my CO2 tank to over 100 lbs, which was enough air to run the ARB all day. When I found a buyer for the ARB I switched to a Detroit rear.
So the point of this story is to either
1: not put all your locker needs in one basket. Or
2: If you do put them all in one basket, make sure to install a York compressor.
The Detroit can be tough to drive on Slick Mountain Rds, but I havent had much trouble this winter,even on the winding mountain Rds around Lake Tahoe.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
While I'd say compressor failure is something Yes! you should be prepared for..extra line,parts,etc...I was considering adding a tire size vale inline to my
reserve tank, and carrying on of those cheap 12vdc air pumps 120psi or better. Fill my reserve tank while I Enjoy some down time ;)) make the best of
situation and carry on. If you can always be prepared for the worse and when it happens it'll only make for a delay and some ribbing ;)

77 CJ-7,SOA ,33" TSL's, 304 V8, T176,D300,D30,M20,

G

·
I have solid lockers both ends, Detroit Locker in the rear and Lock Rite up front. Yes, they can be a little spooky on slick,
off-camber stuff, but they are so darn simple. And I just bet you'd have a real hard time breaking a Detroit. Where I live we
get snow in the winter, and if I want to drive a little ways I'm in the San Juans, the Detroit hasn't been a problem once I got
used to it. No air lines to come off, no sealing problems, and its always there.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
Get involved or lose it all, the choice is yours!

G

·
I changed from double ARB's (after much trouble) to ARB front and Detroit rear. Like this set up MUCH better. If I replace the front axle with a D44 will equip it with a Detroit and locking hubs. Main reason I have no fear of a front Detroit is that I have a twin stick which will allow me take the front axle out of gear even in low range. Best of all the worlds.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com

G

·
When I lived in Lake Tahoe, I had a toy pickup with a detroit in the rear and never noticed it. Actually, the only time I did was on a drive way where I was basically side hilling it and the rear kept sliding. But, I still think that even a open would have done the same. I almost never used 4wd there. I had plenty of traction and never had any steering problems until I locked the front hubs which had an old Gleason Torsen LS. Then it wanted to plow straight forward.

Bottom line. Detroit in the rear will have little effect IMHO. But, I've yet to try a locked rear Jeep.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like I should save my money in the rear and go with the Detroit.

How about some insight on the last part of my question? Are there any negative aspects or quirks of towing a locked jeep? I flat tow most weekends behind a motorhome.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts