Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My zuki has a 2" lift with 215/75R15's. I live in the mountains of TN and drive some of the worst roads(washouts, ditches, hills, etc..). I am not a rockcrawler, this is my daily driver. Now, my question is if I put a spool in the front, and a limited in the rear, when it snows will I be able to manuver. The roads to my house are all switchback, no guardrail, and the shoulder is straight down. If I power up these hills and curves with the limited slip in the rear, will the spool in the front compensate for the straight push from the rear? As you can see, I don't have much room for error or experimentation. By the way, whenever it snows, I'm IN 4WD, period!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I don't believe that the limited slip have a problem with trying to keep a samurai running straight..
most people I have talked to that have the limited slip rear diff, don't notice it being there as far as the handeling, but do notice the extra traction it provides...

as far as the front question goes I don't know...

·
Registered
241 Posts
If you have ever driven a FRONT wheel drive vehicle in the snow then you know they are awesome going around corners and handle great in the snow. I would go with a locker in the front and an ARB in the rear.
If or When you get stuck, reach down and flip the switch to energize the rear locker and get un-stuck.
If money is very limited, many guys swear that a welded locker is the way to go.

G

·
Now for another opinion. I'm locked front and rear. Turning in the snow is not a real easy thing to do. In 4 wheel drive you go straight or need to do it under strong power where you don't really have that much control. I don't think there would be that much difference between the limited slip and a locker in the rear. I would go with a ARB in the front or the limited slip. Whatever you do do it before the snow falls so you can push it and get used to the handling in the dirt. Actually a locker in the rear isn't that bad. About 15 minutes to get used to the characteristics

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Actually a locker in the rear isn't that bad. About 15 minutes to get used to the characteristics

YEA RIGHT ???? i have had mine for a couple months when you accelerate hard it pulls to the side when you decelerate hard it pulls to the side dont even think about shifting gears at high rpm in a turn since the wheel on the inside of the turn is the one pushing
plus I have tons of body roll (wrangler springs) but with my spool I had none of this I would typically take 15 mph turns at about 25 now it is about 15 maybe 20 if i lug the motor thru the turn I WOULD NEVER RECOMEND A LOCKER IF YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON KNOWING WHAT THE RIG IS GOING TO DO NEXT lockeds will pull to the right one time then the left the next but they are great off road I would realy like a arb for the rear of mine or maybe a limited slip but they are 2/3 the cost of a arb without compressor

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cost is DEFINITELY an issue. If I could afford an ARB, there would be no hesitation about what I would have. The only options I have are limited's or spools. Putting a spool in the rear is kinda dicey for me cause it's my daily driver. If I put a spool in the rear, what kinda life can I expect from my tires?

G

·
A samurai has such a short wheelbase and so thin that unless you turn real sharp it hardly even chirps the tires. I personaly went from locker to welded in the rare and it was a huge improvement.. Heres a part noone talks about though. The welded seems to wear out the splines in the rear end after awhile.. So Its a tough choice dude.. I HATED driving mine on the street with a locker. As for locking up the front, if your gonna be on dry roads "trails" your gonan need power. Its impossible to turn unless your in loose trails like here or snow,mud ect.. I have power now even though i didnt realy need it. But once or twice i hit a real dry spot and it goes nowere but dead straight with no power steer.. I also havent personaly seen that much wear on my tires do to welding

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
For snow and ice you need lsd's all the way around. A spool in the front would be horrible, your turing radius would be shorter and harder at speed, not to mention much harder on the birfs cause you will be causing it to bind when ever you turn in 4 wd. At least with a regular locker it will have some give when turning with a spool or welded front the tires would be locked together and forced to spin at the same speed. IMO anyway.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about a LSD front and a spool in the rear? I forgot about the birfields, they woulkd probably break for sure. Ideally I would put a LSD in front and an ARB in the back, but that would entail getting a better paying job, selling the house and kids, etc..

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
for snow and ice lsd all the way around is the best. I think you would have problems climbing in the ice with a lasd in front and a locker in back, I dunno we dont get much snow here so most of my experience is coming from straight mud. I have found a locker in the front only works real well.

G

·
Is a spool/welded not that noticable on the road? I have a toyota with a lockright in the rear and the only time I notice it is turning realy sharp or the occasional bang while starting off from a stop. I was thinking lockright for my sami, but the price of the spool is very enticing. If road manners and tire wear are close to a locker, I will probably order a spool for the rear and lockright for the front.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Where are you finding LSDs? I understood they were not available for the front either.

I am no expert on driving on ice and snow but my first 40 years was spent in South Dakota driving in ice and snow in the winter. I would think that auto hubs, LSD in the rear and open dif. in the front would be the way to go on ice and snow. Of course the ultimate would be ARB front and rear if cost was not a factor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.