Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out what rpm my converter is locking up. I did a brake stand about an hour ago and from that I got 2500rpm that just doesn't sound right. I was woundering if anyone knows what the stock lock-up is for the E40D on a '90 with 351w? I'd call Ford but they have given me so much wrong info I don't trust their opinion. Or is there another way of finding out that I don't know about?

G

·
IIRC stock stall speed is 1800... but when it locks up I dunno. I thought the ECM controlled that based upon TPS position and other factors...???

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
the stall speed is different thatn the lock-up. The lock up is controled byt the tranny's internal controller. when it wants to lock-up it floods the T/C with high pressure and high volume of fluid which locks the fins together.

G

·
"the stall speed is different thatn the lock-up"

Right............. that's why I said I believe stock stall speed is 1800 and I'm not certain what governs lock-up?????? But I agree w/Muddy, I think it's a function of load. Mine is extrememly annoying and locks at low rpms when it shouldn't... I can really feel it lock and unlock. There's a product out there which allows you to control or delay lock-up for the E4OD, I'm seriously considering that (not the B&M ka-boom nuke your E4OD unit).

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Lock-up/stall speed

I stopped at a tranny place today (a friend refered) and he showed me what Shilo said 1800 for stall speed and also said what Havack said, Lock-up can be in second or third and if it's working correctly then it should always be in third. Mine does do it in second or third and also a low rpm. He pointed out that oversize tires will affect shifting points(no sh!t), and that would affect it too.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I remeber in a different thread this subject, An I don't believe I have a PSOM. I have looked under the dash everywhere and can't find one. Do all models 87-91 have these?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I looking to get another set of rims and put stock tires on to see if there is any difference. I just had the tranny overhauled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts