Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Lock-rite performace locker. I am planning on installing one in my 79 cj 7 rear (amc 20 /mosier shafts). Has anyone had one break, or had any other bad experiences. Please let me know before I make a purchase i would regret. Thanks in advance.

Jesse

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A local 4X4 driveline shop, M.I.T. in El Cajon, Ca. now refuses to install lockrites in any rear diff. He got tired of replacing all the
broken ones. They do work just fine up front.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been running one front and rear with no problems for 2 years now. Rich Imholt of Bad Bee fame(Canary
yellow 3B) has been running one for around 5 years now without breakage. If you are running 35" or larger tires
or have a severe lead foot go with detroit. I run 33" Swamper radials with lots of torque and have been happy.
Nickmil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's another thumbs up. I ran one in the rear of my '95 YJ for two years with no problems. It was unstopable! The only distasteful moment was during a rain storm when I had to slam on the brakes: one wheel wanted to skid, and the other wanted to grab. It sounded as if the the whole rear end fell off, but there were no problems other than a loud BANG!

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I rode in a CJ that had one in the rear and the guy knew how to drive with it. We went around town and I honestly never heard the locker. However, I had one installed in my 93 Z71 and the mechanic failed to replace the thrush washers. It was extremely loud!!!!! It shook the entire truck and It finially broke. However, powertrax still gave me my money back. I bought a posi after that. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the ARB or the detroit.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've been running a lockright in my front axle for 3 years now with no problems. 3 weeks ago I installed one in the rear dana 44 and the only time I notice it on road is when I'm pulling out and turning at the same time. The inside tire tries to keep up with the outside one. When I'm coasting into a turn you can hear a slight clicking from it unlocking the one side. I'm running 33's and haven't broken one yet.

Sprungover`71 Jeepster w/lotsa goodies /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been running lock rights front and rear in my '78 CJ with 4.10 R&P's and 33x12.50's for 7 years with no problems at all. It does pull slightly to the right or left when you get on the gas hard or suddenly let off the gas, but no worse than my Toyota with dual Detroit lockers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ditto - '79 CJ-7 daily driver, V-8, 33's, lock-rite front and back. Jeep sees 20,00 miles a year and alot of hard core trails too (I know - I'm insane, I have an understanding wife and a new Dodge Quad Cab on order...) Anyway, yeah, it makes all kinds of noise and pops and bangs and clicks, and sometimes it will startle you, but still performing flawlessly, and no real problems on the street besides the noise. Two other friends have lock-rites in their AMC 20's with no problems as well. Nothing matches a locker off-road (except a spool, I guess). Also, easy to install, as every time I set up a ring and pinion it eats itself a few months later so the lock-rite is the ticket. Another enthusiastic thumbs up!! P.S. - I've blown lots of u-joints and ring and pinions with lock-rites in there, so they're stronger than that!!!

Chuck Hadley

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So. Bottom line is, of those who have >heard< of Lock-Rights, they are bad; of those of us who have actually >used< Lock-Rights, they're just fine. Take your pick...

Hewgag

Right Wrongs Nobody

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just my 2 cents. I have a LockRite in the front of my CJ7, and a Detroit Locker in the rear. I installed both, and having seen the
construction of the LockRite, I would be reluctant to use one in the rear. That stock carrier just looks mighty wimpy next to
something like a Detroit. When the one in front grenades, and I fully expect it to some day, then in will go something a little sturdier.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have had a Lockrite in the rear axle of my 74 CJ5 for 4 years and ~30,000 miles. It works flawlessly. It takes a little getting used to on the road, but there is no single single addition that improves trail performance more than a locker in the rear axle. When you make a tight turn in your favorite shopping center parking lot, you'll get a lot of stares from people expecting your wheel to come popping off. Bottom line, I would recommend it highly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm with you Brad. When the Lock-rite in my front goes I'll put in a Detroit. The only reason I didn't go with a Detroit from the start
was that it wasn't yet available for the Dana30.

Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.