Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a warn m8000 from carparts.com a few weeks ago and am looking to put together an accessory kit for it. I looked at Warn's kit and have decided that I can put together a kit for less money. Finding shackles and a tree strap are easy enough but I have not yet located a snatch block for a decent price rated at 16k, any ideas? I found one for $50 pre freight but would like to do a little better. Am I kidding myself? Do any of you see a problem using a choker as a tree strap? I appreciate any opinions.

T-bone 72CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You're right, a snatch block is expensive. Actually $50 is pretty darn cheap. I got Warn's kit with my winch many years ago.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are suggesting using a choke chain as a tree strap, that is likely to injure or kill the tree, ruining it as an anchor for other offroaders and justifying the bad name that some would like to associate with us. Tree straps are intended specifically to serve that purpose without hurting the tree. I just went ahead and bought the Warn kit. It wasn't clear that I couldn't do better if I really looked around, but I don't think I could have done alot better. It was easier to buy the kit.

-joe

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Naw Mojo, I'm planning to pick up a nylon choker at somewhere like Fastenal. I'm in shops associated with heavy construction a lot more than I am off-road shops and can use my company's discount in most of them. I figure if one of these chokers is enough to pick equipment i.e. bobcats etc. it should be enough to use with my winch. I guess 50 bones isn't too bad of a price. I just looked in Mcmaster-Carr and couldn't really find anything small enough and rated high enough to suit me. I guess I'll go with the one from Warn. Thanks for the input.

T-bone 72CJ5

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i bought a good snatch block at a farm implement joint(fleet farm)...it was $38 a few years ago...then i lent it out... never saw it since......
~~Elusive~~

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any crane or rigging supply can provide you what you are asking for. note though that most of this stuff has a 3 to 1 ratio built into it for overhead usage. so an 8000lb pulley block will pull 24000lb. As far as the straps go, just make sure they are the non stretch type or bad things can happen.

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.