Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as i like leaf springs they are really hurting the turning radius on my buggy and i can't go with less back spacing because then i wouldn't fit on my trailer. I want to put some type of link suspension on the front of my buggy but i have no idea where to start. 4 link, 5 link, 3 link with panhard, i have no idea. Any good web sites/ links to posts that explain the basics? Link materials? Joints? I'm lost and want to do this right, the last time i messed with a link suspension (my tj) it was a disaster.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
have you searched pirate yet? the front is a little more tricky than the back, since you have the oil pan there... i would go with 4 link myself.. for a buggy.. since you can move things around.. ie. the engine and radiator.. it might be a lot work.. but it will pay off.. 3 links are popular in the front also... i am not a fan of the pan hard bar in the front... you have enough going on with the steering, you don't another bar in there.. but i'm not looking at your buggy either.. and also depends on how much work you want to do..
i give you links.. but my computer crashed.. and i lost them all...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Yep, you can probably find alot on Pirate, but,......they have disabled the search function for all except paying members.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
In the front with a steering box, a 3 link w/panhard will be easiest and work best. I have done a couple triangulated four links w/ steering box, but they have to be spot on to function good, and still have some quirks unless you go to an elaborate steering system. If you are running full hydraulic a triangulated four link will work great, or any other configuration for that matter. Usually I run triangulated four links in rear w/ a three link & panhard upfront, or triangulated front and rear when full hydraulic steering is used.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any one have those links on pirate, i don't have a star so i can't search. I wish i had my buggy infront of me, i can't remeber exactly what it looks like. What about a rubicon express tj style radius arm with panhard, would i need to worry about geometry with that besides caster?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
A radius arm style w/ panhard is a good and easy system to work with and they can perform extremely good, they are limited however on adjustability compared to a true 3 link & panhard.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the radius arm with panhard as simple as making my links long enough with the uppers comming off the lowers, setting the right caster angle and having my panhard at the same angle and lenght as my drag link or do i need to start doing some math/ geometry? I've also seen the radius arm setup except they didn't run an upper arm on one side. I'm pretty sure it can't be that simple but it would be nice if it is.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
If you want to improve the buggy's performance with a new suspension, then great. Spend months researching, designing, and building. If you're happy with the simplicity of the leaf springs, then just get the less backspace wheels, and put on tiny tires to load an unload the buggy, and then toss on the big-uns when the buggy rolls off the trailer.

Simple, effective, and done in one day.

Just another viewpoint.
Pete

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
That's an interesting concept - eliminating one upper arm on a radius arm set like RE.

With that upper arm connected it moves up and down fine, but when twisting/articulating the entire assembly goes into a bind.
I wonder how it performs on the street like that - stability-wise.
Anybody try it?

I've been thinking of trying a slider on one upper arm (just tubes slid together,) then it could stretch or compress or twist as needed, but still give lateral stability.

Any Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Yes, removing one side of the radius arm system does remove the inherent binding, under heavy braking, the rig will usually dive to the side w/o the upper.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to improve the buggy's performance with a new suspension, then great. Spend months researching, designing, and building. If you're happy with the simplicity of the leaf springs, then just get the less backspace wheels, and put on tiny tires to load an unload the buggy, and then toss on the big-uns when the buggy rolls off the trailer.

Simple, effective, and done in one day.

Just another viewpoint.
Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

I wheel too much and with too many people that drive their rigs for that to be practical. There's wheeling as close 5 min. from my house and some times i drive and some times i trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.