Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a bad idea or what? I have an open carrier to experiment with and I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about this. I know the theory behind it but how exactly do you weld the gears up? Do you weld the spiders to each other and the carrier? How well does it hold up?
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just welded the spider gears to together on my dana 30.It has worked well for me but I don`t do any rock crawling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you weld them up while the carrier was in the housing? Did you weld the gears to the carrier?
Thanks,
Aaron

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
what I did was weld inside a couple of teeth on the spider so it will not mesh with the axle gear. i did not weld the carrier, did not weld the gears just filled in a couple teeth on the spider. JoJo taught me this. i can replace the spider and have a open carrier.

brownbagg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've done this several times and had good results. I always weld the spider gears together but not to the carrier. One lesson I learned is to not weld the spiders with the axle out of the vehichle and the pinion pointed to the ground. This allows the welding berries to drop down into the pinion bearing and causes unhappy noises. Good luck.
Travis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.