Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home last night on the highway, i reached down to adjust the brightness of my dash lights, turned the knob, now I have no dash lights. any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it. thanks.

Thanks for the imput, but i still have a problem. The speedomoter, tach, and oil pressure aren't lit now. could the bulbs have blown, faulty ground? if the bulbs did blow are they hard to replace?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The variable resistor that adjusts the briteness of the dash lights (built into headlight switch) is prone to corrosion. This corrosion causes problems such as the one you describe. The easiest remedy is to replace the headlight switch.

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
This is a common problem with rheostats, they get dirty and the winding doesn't make contact with the
wiper. If it remains in the same position for long periods of time, the only clean spot is under the wiper.
When it is moved it has difficulty making a new contact.

Generally this condition can be corrected by twisting the knob back and forth several times. You may
also have to use some "tuner cleaner" available at Radio Shack or other electronics stores. Other than
the flimsy little pc board type, these seldom go bad. At least it's worth a try before you shell out for a
new switch.

· Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
DON'T DO IT!!!

Don't use anything that also lubricates the rheostat. First it doesn't need it, but more importantly, it will
adhere dirt to the wiper and the windings. The dirt was what you were trying to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.