Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 lights that im planning on putting on my jeep. Im not sure if they are 55 watt or 100 watt. Is there any precautions I should take when wiring them in. What exactly do I need to do. Should I wire them to the headlights and a toggle switch or what. Also, will I need more alternator or wont it make too big a difference. Thanks

Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
To get the most out of them, wire them thru a relay and a switch on the dash. The relay gets 12v direct from battery, the switch gets a 12v source as well, the switch then triggers the relay to power the lights. Mount relays relatively close to the lights and use 10 awg to the battery. The trigger wire can be smaller (14-18 awg). Using the relay gets the most current to the lights with less resistence loss in a bunch of wiring.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Finish filling out your profile. It's nice to know who we're writing to....

Don't forget to fuse both the relay, and the wiring to the lights. Your stock alternator should hadle the load. I'd stick to 35 to 55 watt lights mounted low, in the front bumper or on a bull bar. You really don't want to ruin your night vision with too high a glaring lamp, as well as the others around you. Also check with your local authorities as to what's legal and what's not. You'll likely have to have the OR lamps covered.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the diagram
i think it will help a bunch
Also, on the diagram it shows the switch and the relay in the same box. How exactly do you wire the two together.

Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks so much for all the help
it really helped me out

69' Jeep CJ6, 225 v6 buick, turbo 400, dana 18

1 - 7 of 7 Posts