Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yea. So from other posts you probably know im not sure what im doing yet. I just wanted to ask about the few things ive heard. For example. theirs 2 types of lifts. Body lift and suspension lift. Right? what do each of them do? Ive heard body lifts to high are bad, because of rolling, and topping over in water. Also Tire size. From reading, average is 33-35? And the lift to tire relation. Does one souly depend on the other? and if so which lift? body lift or suspension lift? Also i dont read much about engine mods on the post. Usually its lift kits and tires. Is their anything specifically i need to do out side of tires and lifts? Also, pictures. pictures are great. Anyone who has any email em! thanx. Also if you do email pics, tell me whats done to your bronco so i can see.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
You forgot fender cutting! It is not necessarilly a lift but it achieves some good results with tire size given that you have thought of putting the right backspace in the wheels. My advice is to read all you can here. Learn everything in your Haynes/Chiltons manual. And enjoy what you have for a while. Maybe step up to some 31/10.50s or 32/11.5s with the stock gearing. Remove the sway bar/s for flex (do not do this if you like driving fast!
). Join a club or two that does some wheeling where you can see hands on what is going on. Remember the bigger the tire you put on the bigger the strain will be on your drivetrain and that you will need to regear or your motor will start to notice on the streets. (It will have to work harder to do the same job it did with smaller tires). Above all else have fun! And remember that those magazines are being paid by the advertisers
so ask here before you buy. Have Fun!
NORM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The races that we have around here are the mud run and the obtacle course. It is ran in classes... four and six (inline six Broncos with 33x12.50 tires can compete against Suburus, Nissan, Toyota, Geo Tracker!), stock (V8's with no modifications and original carb and up to 33x12.50 tire size), street and trail (V8's with minimal mods...Edelbrock or Holley carb, headers, tire size up to 36" and frame alterations), hot street (still street legal or somewhat anyway, severe motor alterations,and big time frame alterations, unlimited tire size) and modified (not even concievably a chance it could be street legal or even attempted to be operated on the highway!).
I race the mud run and I go in the street and trail class as well as the hot street. I can't race stock only because I have headers and my tires are an inch and a half too wide.
My Bronco has no lift kit, gear reductions, or anything else special. For winter driving I run 31"x10.50 Wild Country tires, summer fun driving I run 35"x12.50 tires (can't think of the brand right now). I am suggish on th takeoff with the 35's and have a little trouble with going up grades and pulling a trailer at the same time. For the mud run I run 33"x14.00 Super Swamper Boggers. These are the best tire on this planet for mud. Even a person who has a different preference will not dare to dog on a Bogger. The down fall of the Bogger is they will wear out in about a mile or two (exxageration) on the highway. My Boggers are put on on race day and taken off the next day. I don't run the obstacle course, but if i did I would run my 31x10.50's.
The only mod I have on my truck to run these big tires is I cut out the fender wells. My truck IS a lowrider in that a Bronco with 31's and a lift looks down at me. I have a very low center of gravity and with my non modified setup ahve beat and beat on my truck for 5 years with very minimal parts breakeage. (Couple hubs, an axle, 1 transfer case and a u joint) Not bad for how much I abuse my truck!
The only engine mod I have is headers, but they suck. I was told they are throwing off my MAP sensor and screwing my fuel injection and I am probably losing power because of them. My motor is stock 190 hp EFI 5.0 with a 4 speed tranny.
I have raced it in three events...I'm not hardcore and show up to every event. The first time I didn't place because I had just bought the 33's and was scared to take it out of second gear for fear of bogging the motor RPM's too much so my time was too slow. The second time I took second place my starting off in third gear and holding the pedal to the metal. I think I was robbed because when I came back everybody said they called out my time as six point something seconds and when I looked at the board I was seven point something seconds. First place beat me by .03 hundredths of a second, but deep down inside I think they wrote my time down wrong and I took first that day. The guy who won had an F250 with 36" Swampers and a beefed 429 big block. The next day we drew numbers and him and I were side by side, where the day before I raced sided by side against a built Blazer. When I looked up at the guy in his truck, I yelled out to him, "You better give it everything you got because I want first today and you are my only real competition, you had better make me earn it!" He looked at me and drove like a madman but both times I pulled out of the hole a whole truck length ahaed of him. I felt like David vs Goliath. I took first that day. My second run was in the high five seconds. The top truck in the mod class that day got it in 4.9 seconds, so I thought I had a damn good time. She has over $20,000 into her 454 GMC and beat my $1200 Bronco by only a second. The third time I raced I got the best ime on my first run, but got stuck on my second run. I thought I could make it through the center, but misjudged that one! Then in the money run, I took third, but that race was only for the pot and there were no second and third places. But it was cool because it was open/all classes. I took third against 4 trucks in the mod class...not bad!
I am finally moved in to my new house and now have the spare time to race again so I'll post on this site my results next time I do. I have got a small underground underdog rooting team that has seen what I can do and they love telling people in their nice Chevies, "Look out for that junky looking stock Bronco!"

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey BroncoBoi, if you eant us to send pics via email, post your email address! I enjot sharing my pics, but on this website I can only post one at a time and I would be spamming this chat channel and boring everyone else to the point of not wanting to read on further because some hakefisherman posted a bunch of his pics again! You can post it on the MY HOME button and then the edit profile button. Or you can put it in your post every time you ask people to send you pics!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Besides learning the search feature on this forum, many of us also provide you a link to our site (many of us are listed on superford.org). Just click on the link and you will see pics and be able to read all you want about the different trucks we all own.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My Email

Oh yea. My Email is [email protected] ; I asumed you could click on my name for an email or something. Sorryt about that. BTW I do check out all your guys sites and ive been to yours (thejuice) a few times.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: My Email

Good deal, and welcome aboard! If you see something specific to a vehicle and have a question that may not suit a general post, you can send a private message as well.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

If you would fill in your e-mail address in your profile then we could click and get it.

Hey! If you guys want to put up some pics of your rides just send them to me with a short writeup and I will put them on Broncodata

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Havack, just a thought, is there a way those of us on Superford can link our info. with your site, since it is hosted by superford? that may be fairly easy, superford would be good with that, and you would get a bunch of broncos for display on your site??????

·
Registered
2,074 Posts

If you want to do up a write-up and selectivly post(linked) some poser shots that would be cool. You could then provide a link to your full albums.

Eric over at SuperFord is very grcious to give up some space for me so if I can save him some by linking existing pics then cool by me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts