Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Here's the story thus far:
My buddy, Fro, has a '98 TJ Sahara. Its fully loaded (automatic, Dana 44, 4.0 liter, etc.) He wants to lift it since its time for new tires anyways at about 30,000 miles. He wants to fit 33" BFG M/Ts, with absolutely no chance of rubbing whatsoever. He's budgeted $800 for the suspension lift alone, and wants a quality 4" suspension lift. I was wondering if I could get any input from you guys for him. Kits you've tried, heard of, quality issues, and especially, he does not want to mess with the NP231 tailshaft conversion. Will a 4" lift require this? He does not really do any 4 wheeling, just wants the Jeep to have a more aggressive stance than those P225's can provide. Thanks in advance, guys!!!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
you canm always do a body liff if all you want is room for tires....but once hell get those tires on. Hell want to try them off raod (trust me...that how I got hooked) and I went down hill from there and now 33's are just to small and want to go bigger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, sir, i should have posted that..we Immediately ruled out the body lift, because of possible future 4 wheeling, once this pretty little TJ gets a few battle wounds and character....thanks for the 411, though!

-Mike

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 Laramie SLT Sport Plus--5.9L 360, auto, 3.92s, antispin, BFG A/Ts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are going to have a hard time finding a quality lift for $800. The trailmaster 4" fits that price range but it sucks. Tell your friend that if he is serious about a 4" lift for off road use he should keep saving. The parts for a good TJ lift will run $1400 to $2000 depending upon just how serious he wants to get. The heavy duty output shaft kit alone is $350.00. If you get the standard kit it is very weak because it is just the standard output shaft that has been cut down as opposed to a shorter shaft that is built heavier for off-road use. The most popular and reportedly best performing TJ kits are the Rubicon Express ultimate 4.5", the Tera Flex S4T superflex, and the Tomken super articulating 4" kit. all of which will run $2000 plus including labor for the install. Hope this helps.

Axlesupagain
98TJ 35's 4.56 detroits and lots of stuff
96XJ 31's 3.73 lockright and less stuff

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for the INFO guys, and that's a great site you have, Chris. I'll be sure to pass your words on. Thanks. Anybody else??

-Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually if your friend does lift it four inches, he's going to have to either drop the t-case or get the slip yoke eliminator kit, if not both. Unfortunately the 6cyl. were built with a shorter rear driveshaft and hence will cause shaking unless he drops the t-case and does the tailshaft conv. If he's just looking for better "stance" why not just get a 2"life and some 31's? And I'd also recommend saving up a bit more money for a lift.

Steve
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gifJust Empty Every Pocket/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Guys,
Thanks for your information, All of you. We have decided to go with a TeraFlex 3" TJ lift with all new control arms. Its a lot more pricey than we were looking to spend, but quality is of utmost importance. And 33" BFG M/Ts will clear with no problems, according to TeraFlex. Thanks again! We'll let ya know when we get it all together....in a few months!

-Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.