Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 95yj 2.5l automatic...

It already had 1" (2" longer than stock) shackles on it and a 1" body lift. I'm running 30 x 9.50's now and does real well offroad with the swaybar disconnected without any rubbing (I put on 6" fender flares also) I would like to get the new Goodyear wrangler mt/r 31 x 10.50 for a little more bite and wonder if I'm going to have a rubbing problem with this setup?

If it rubs, I can't afford a full lift kit after buying these tires, I thought about a set of 1.5" lift add-a-leafs all around. If I put those leafs in with the longer shackles, will I need a transfercase lowering kit or shims on the leafs to change the angle of the driveshaft?

Hopefully 31 x 10.50 will offroad well without rubbing with just the 2" total lift (shackle & body)... but before I buy these tires, I thought I'd ask. If it's just better to stick with 30's then I might do that.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well Aaron95YJ,
I also have a 95 YJ with a 2.5L but with a 5 speed. I added the Rubicon Express SOA kit and the results are endless. Everytime I go on a run it just seems to get better. I've also straightened the clamps on the leafs, added 4.56 gearing, a CV rear driveshaft, turned the AC into on board air, added power steering, done a hand throttle, full roll cage, Ramsey winch, 33in. Boggers, Super 35 kit with Detriot locker, and e-z locker up front. My sugestion in the SOA kit, but I'm pretty bias towards this lift. It does have better flex than the Warn coil kit and all. If you have any questions about the yj, let me know and I'll help any way possible. Oh and by the way, nice name and great choice in Jeeps.

Aaron
95YJ SOA
w/many mods

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stay away from Add-a-leafs! unless you are interested in adding load capacity or limiting your suspension flex look elswhere for your tire clerance problems. I bet with a little trimming of sheetmetal you can gain a decent amount of clerance for next to nothing.

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You should be fine w/ the 31's. When I fist got my CJ it had 31's w/ it being completly stock. I had very small rubbing under full flex. With you 2'' lift you should be fine, I a little rubbing never hurt anything anyways. I would recommened that you go w/ the 31's.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
The add a leafs will work fine, as an interim lift set up. I even run them on my rock crawler,if you call 1000 plus on a 30 deg ramp limited, then I guess Im limited. Honestly the helper springs just act like a stiffer spring pack. they may weaken fairly quickly(Depending on how hard your flexing them) but if you get warrantied springs you can just swap em out when they go bad. On my YJ I have to replace them about every 4 months, but I am really tweaking the suspension almost every weekend on some pretty brutal trails. If you get vibration from the drive line, you can make a transfer case lowering kit using 1" or 1 1/2 " square tubing in between the frame and the T case skid plate. This system is actualy much stronger than aftermarket kits using individual spacers, due to the extra strength provided by the support of the tubing in between the 3 holes. The kits using 6 individual spacers will collapse baddly if you drop on a rock in between the spacers.The square tubing costs about $10.00, just use the skid plate as a template for the 3 holes on each side.
Jeff
89 Wrangler

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran 31x11.50 AT's on my stock rims with a 1.25" shackle lift without rubbing. I did have to adjust my steering stops with some washers though since I didn't want to swap rims.
You'll be fine, but what rims do you have?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.