Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to take the lifters, cam, rockers, pushrods, and timing set from my spare 360... I was planning on saving myself a couple of bucks avoiding to buy a kit... until I could rebuilt my spare... but I'm being told I shouldn't use the lifters, than what's the point? since I got gaskets for a 100$ and need lifters for more cash... I should just get a 300$ kit that includes cam, lifters, and timing set and gasket... returning the gaskets i previously got... do I need to do something to the block if I buy new ones, any honing or something? What I thougt was supposed to be the smallest job seems like it will eventually become a friggin' complete engine overhaul!!! Should I take the heads off, and do a leak down test since it's already open??? Thanks, to all in advance, you people are my saviors`!!!

A Jeep is a Jeep..

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
if you can label the lifters as to each of the 16 holes, and replace them there, then you would not disprupt the pattern between lifter/cam, this is the only wear pattern Ive ever heard of causing trouble on mis matched installs, oh yeah do the same with the pushrods and such, its best to put them back in teh same holes so the wear patterns match up wear patterns inlucde lifter to cam, lifter to pushrod, pushrod to rocker arm

I really dont think its worth the $100 gasket kit to skimp here though.

check the taper, get the block checked, machined if needed, and tehn pop $400 for the entire kit, and have a happy engine for 100K+ miles, instead of saving a few hundred bucks.

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...as long as you didnt have any other really loud valvetrain noises I wouldnt do a thing the block. As in your last post you are doing the right thing, piece-mealing projects always wind up costing more in the long run...and all of us can relate to that. You dont need to do a leak down test right now if your motor was running okay before...did you have any misterious skips you could hear in the exhaust?...this sometimes could be attributed to the low compression in the cylenders...but if you do not have that then just install everything in the exact order you took it out. Make sure that you soak the new lifters in a coffee can full of oil and do the same to the timing chain setup. Be sure to coat all of the new cam lobes with the break-in lube and use some wheel bearing grease for the main bearing areas of the cam. After the break-in time of the cam of about 7-15 minutes, be sure to change the oil to get rid of the course cam break-in material. What is the average RPMs that you run around town with your Jeep?...Does the crank gear in your timing chain setup have a multi-keyway setup to advance or retard your cam?...I am Just asking because if you do have a relitively moderate RPM range while normal driving(2400-3000RPM's) than you can advance the cam 4 degrees to give yourself some more low end power. By doing this you drop the power band of the cam to a lower acceptable level for the low speed crawling of the average wheeler'. And it will give you a little better gas mileage too, because you dont have to rev the motor as high to reach the max horespower limit of the cam saving your motor over time also.

Mark (OIIIIO) Langmotorsports(business)
1977/CJ7/Glasstub/460ciFord/C6Auto/NP205/4"LIFT/33'S

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot to mention, I'm exremely tight in cash right now, I want it to run ok, until I can afford to rebuilt one of my engines... I had a clattering noise, and my current valve train is quite ugly.. I was having a hard time adjusting my carb and had a vaccum leak that was probably the intake manifold, so I wanted to deal with both problems in one shot /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif...

Just to make sure my francophone brain understands /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, ozark when you said "I really dont think its worth the $100 gasket kit to skimp here though." did you mean I shouldn't have bought it, and go for the rebuilt or do I keep it ??

Mud, when you're talking about "new", are you referring to cannibalized parts from my spare engine or new parts from a cam kit...

Thanks for you patience... Understanding english is one thing, but adding mechanics with it is something else... it's a whole new language...

A Jeep is a Jeep..

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Frank my point was,

I wouldnt waste the $100 gasket kit on a hash built engine.

Id just stab it together with permatex, and live with teh leaks, until it dies and I could do it right

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I exagerated a bit... about 60$ for gaskets... I'll go check my spare today, from this point I'll make my decision... I might just live with the ticking and start rebuilding the spare...

A Jeep is a Jeep..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frank-
I'm leaning in Ozark's direction. You've spent $60 bucks on gaskets that you will use to attempt to improve a ticker. What if you mess up? You've wasted $60 and the chances of the motor going longer is slimmed up.

Fill the leaks with silly cone, and save the extra bucks. You're already $60 on your way to a rebuild. Milk that old one along till it pukes, and by then your other will probably be ready.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well... I can always return the gaskets, they're from Canadian Tire... For once I'm happy I got them there.. but I think I will use them this time, and seal this one and start rebuilding my spare... thanks for the input fellas..

A Jeep is a Jeep..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I just put everything back in... the only oops I noticed yet, is I forgot to take note how my rocker bridges were installed... I just shoved them in... the hell with it... I'm putting 20w50 in it for a while to see if it will make a difference... I'm gonna start rebuilding my spare soon I think, I'm gonna check for prices on everything... it was over 600$ for new cam kit, gaskets and timing set, rockers and pushrods, and that didn't include valves !! so, I'm kinda holding my breath for now, hoping it will start when I finish putting back these used parts/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif... if it doesn't, I think I'll park it until it's paid of, only 3 more years to go!!! /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif

A Jeep is a Jeep..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.