Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating putting a lift on my truck for a while now. I found out that my tie rod end needs replacing, meaning I'll have to do a front end alignment. So I figured that if I get a lift now, then get the alignment that I could kill to birds with one stone. I was wondering what the easiest and cheapest (stressing cheapest) way to get a 1-1/2" to 2" lift on my truck. I thought of spacer blocks for the front coils, and rear leafs, and thought maybe I could get something to space out my 6 shocks, so I won't have to replace those too. Any thoughts? Thanks!

G

·
You want cheap EH? well guys on this board will talk shiz about em but a 3" body lift will only run you about 60 bucks. although you will need to fab some brackets to raise your bumpers. I did my whole lift for about $140 and i think it looks pretty darn good. plus when i get some more cash i can add a 6" suspension lift for a total of 9". YEYA.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor man\'s way

Now I'm from oklahoma and we do things a little different out here...Really Cheap and easy. I was shopping JC Whitney and found some Coil spring "adjusters". It says that it can lift the coils upto 2-3/4". I don't know how they work, but it sounds too good to be true for ~$7...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=14839&BQ=jcw2

Then I found some rear axle lift blocks for around $45...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=193969&BQ=jcw2

I also found another coil spring "stablizer" for ~$9...
http://www.jcwhitney.com/productnoitem.jhtml?CATID=14833&BQ=jcw2

To someone that doesn't know a whole lot, this seems like a really easy way to do it. But, it does sound too easy to be true! I'd like you guy's opinion on this stuff before I go out and buy a bunch of stuff that may not (probably not) be what I want. Thanks!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: Poor man\'s way

I've seen those coil spring adjusters and they are pretty weak looking.I don't think they will hold up to any abuse.If it was cheap and worked everyone would be doing it.

Billy

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Matteorr, looks to me like they fit in between the coil. You would need a pair for each front coil. the one in the pic on the left looks like it would allow you to screw it up which would make the coil spread apart, lifting the vehicle. These do not look like a good way to get lift in a heavy truck.

·
Registered
723 Posts

i use to run them on my 79 tbird (springs were weak) and they worked only marginal at best i had to keep ajusting them and that was on a strret car i doubt they would hold up to anything that would put great stress on them like hitting ruts or going over rocks/trees i di run coil spring spacers on my bronco after i put the 33's under it they were solid hard rubber and you had to jack the front end up to take the tension off the springs and slide/feed them into the coils they worked ok but nothing like the actual lift i finaly put under it think i still have them on the old coils if i do i'll post a pic

·
Registered
3,090 Posts

they will fall out when you let the flex down on the one side of the axle. they are made for things where the axle will not move very far in a up or down direction.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right so scrap that idea! It was one thought, and something I just had to look into. So Burnt, what exactly is your lift (brand, quad front shocks, both front and back lift, etc). I was wanting something that either I didn't have to replace the shocks, or something that came with the shocks. Both ways, I want to keep cost down. I'm not a rough off roader. I won't abuse what I get hardly at all. I just want something I can eventually put 33's under (sorry guys, no body/bumper trimming
) and get a steeper aproach angle with, and something that takes my bronco out of the "looks like a 2wd" category, or the "looks like a 4wd station wagon" category, and put it "now that looks MEAN" category. I want some "wow" factor, dangit! I know I could do most, if not all, of that with a body lift, but body lift is just not in my vocabulary (at least until I get a nice susp. lift).

Thanks for all of your input! Could have been a big mistake you guys saved me from.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
ahh, i run a 8 inch Solid axle.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: lotsa Lift

ill take some pics of it with the 9" of lift (hopefully tomorrow), but i dont have a digital camera, so it might be a little while before i get them developed

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
nope, thats now in PA somewhere.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Re: lotsa Lift

yeah, nj sucks like that. I only get 9" of lift to play with, and gains from tire height count. That means that with a 9' lift, the largest tire i can legally run is a 31!
But....
With a 6" lift, i can run 37's!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts