Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put 31" boggers on my YJ, how much lift should i put on it to accommodate for this size tire? is Body lift okay? - Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
im not sure about a YJ, but a TJ can fit 31's stock. however, thats the biggest it can go w/o a lift. but i imagine the YJ cant be far off if not the same. you'd probably want a small lift, maybe 1" body. ive been told not to go over 1" on the body lift. if you want any higher, go suspension. hope this helps.

It's not a CAR, it's not a TRUCK...its a JEEP-get it right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well we just stuck 31" BFG AT's on my buddies 89 wrangler and without taking the swaybars off, we ramping it, it never touched except for the rear really stuffed into the fenders...but that isn't the greatesting thing tho...

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it were me, Id go with a 1.25" JKS body lift, and that should be enough room, but if not, do TJ flares. Both of those things are items you can use even after you do a suspension lift. Hope that helped.
Scott <><

89 yj sahara with trail stuff, 6" of lift, 35x12.50 BFG MT's on 15x8 AR 767's! my motto: "Eat, Sleep, Jeep!" When in doubt, gas it out!
http://www.Sonsofthunder4x4.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size wheels and what is the backspace on your wheels,the boggers are 31x12.50 thats a wide tire to only run a 1 to 1 1/2 inch lift.If you were to run some 2inch shackles and a spring helper or 1 to 2 inch body (plus shackles) you should have no trouble rubing anything.I would also try and use a 2 to 2.5 inch backspace wheel 8inch or 10 wheel.Hope this helps...

QuadZuki,87 spoa,33"wild countrys

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since nobody suggested the RIGHT way to do it...i guess i will. A suspension lift! at LEAST 2.5" of new SPRING hieght.

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definately go with the suspension lift. I had a 2.5" lift on mine with 31x10.50 BFG A/T, that was the perfect combo for an every day driver,driveability and handling were great.Stay away from shackle lifts it screws up your steering and plus they look stupid.I've never used a body lift but I've heard to never go more than an inch on a Jeep.

Edder

Do you smell that?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
A 31x10.5 Super Swamper TSL SX would probably be a better tire for you. Boggers are so heavy, and they hook up so much in the mud that you'd better have V-8 power to spin them. Do you have V-8 power? Fill in your profile so people can take things like this into account when they give you advice.

Now, onto running 31s on a stock Jeep. If you keep your stock rims, you wont rub the hell out of your fenders with the steering wheel straight. The tires will tuck right up inside the fender-well. If you disconect your sway bar and both trac bars (which you dont need to do if all your running in is sand and mud...) you will be able to contact the metal lip of the fender and eventually (with a thorough thrashing of the Jeep) bend it up some.

To clear 31s without a chance of them hitting, a 2.5" suspension lift is best. But lets face it, a 4" lift costs the same, so what are you going to get, right? /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif

To "cheaply" clear the 31s, I'd go with 1/2" lift shackles and a 1-2" body lift.

To really cheaply clear the 31s, just use a sawzall /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts