Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay a few questions to hope fully help me ascertain if my Jeep has lift or not...

1) What is the stock tire size on a '70 CJ5...

2) How much lift would it require to put 32 inch tires under this Jeep...

I ask these because when my Jeep was purchased it was advertised with having any lift but it has 32s under it???...As far as I could tell it has the stock springs...Also there is hardly no angle in the drive shafts at all...This leads me to believe that it is probably a body lift(although it didn't seem like there is one to me)...My only other guess is that it is a add-a-leaf but why would the axles have no angle with that???...Any help would be apperciated...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.6L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

· Registered
2,196 Posts
My uncle has a '75 CJ-5 that he uses mainly for hunting. It hasn't had plates on it for about five years! (True trail vehicle). He has 33 x 11.50's on it with no lift. The tires rub the body when it gets bouncing good but they clear with normal driving.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Josh, I had a 70CJ5 with the stock heavy duty springs and ran 31X10.50-15's with no rubbing. It sure looked as if I could of used 32's
with no problem.

Gary

· Registered
109 Posts
Josh
I ran 31x10.50 MTs on 8" steel wheels, 4" offset,with stock suspension on my '71, never rubbed in front. After a 2.5" skyjacker lift, and about 1.5" body, they looked awful small. Now running 33x12.50 BFG MTs on AR767 10" wheels, 4" offset. They rub the springs at full lock. Haven't had it fully articulated since the tires were put on, they may rub the fender lip under the flare when stuffed. Bumpstops are 1" longer than stock, so that may prevent that rub. My 31s rubbed the wheelhouse when stuffed, so I'm sure the 33s will too, as offset is same.
Also, a buddy runs 33x12.50 ATs on an '80 CJ7 w/stock suspension, no rub on street. Offroad it rubs.
HTH

Lynn
'71/'48/'97

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot...Okay that gives me some good info...On mine there is some evidence of some rubbing on the inside of the rear fender well...I think the worst problem is that the nubs on the inside edge of the tires seem as though they might catch the front springs when turned in all the way...

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.6L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.