Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lift Installed. Rear window don\'t work!!!

I know it has to be the wiring somewhere. All the fuses check out ok which is unfortunate because I was hoping for a quick fix. I am no wiring magician. I like working on motors and now fabbin' the suspension but electronics elludes me and all the pix of Broncs on fire make me all the more nervous. Where do you think I could take it to get it done right. NORM

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
Re: Lift Installed. Rear window don\'t work!!!

It's really a simple circuit: there are 2 power wires; one for the dash switch & one for the t/g switch. Then there are 2 wires running between the 2 switches and a ground at the dash switch (possibly connected to 2 terminals of the switch).

Pull the 2 fuses/circuit breakers and make sure you have 12V on one side of each fuse socket. If neither switch works, it's most likely either the motor or the dash ground. But the welding near the harness means you should put your eyes on those wires - they're inside the frame rail beside the gas tank on the driver's side. To check the motor, get a spare battery or some long wires & put power to it thru the t/g access panel at the connector behind the center divider. Look at this album for some helpful pics.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

Did you check all the wiring around the general area of the gas tank? Ill bet that the guys who did youre welding burned a wire and either caused a short, or just burned through one.

edit:
hmm, posted at the same time! So, uh, yeah, what steve said

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I think I know what you mean Steve. There aren't any pix of the tailgate switches in that group. I'm just frustrated. I just took the rear door switch off of a parts truck yesterday. Mine is missing so maybe it's possible that there is still power running to the rear switch. I'd still like to open and close it from the inside but something would be better than nothing. Where is it grounded at? NORM

·
Registered
369 Posts

I had a problem with my rear window too. Usually what would happen was the wife would put down the window, open the tailgate, close the tailgate, then try to put up the window and it wouldn't go. After some playing around, I found one of the wires in the wire haress to be broken. This was in the wire harness that is on the driver side that goes from the tailgate to the body. I had to unwrap the tape that was around the harness, then I soldered the wires together and retaped everything up.

Not sure if this is your problem, but I think this is a good area to look as this harness gets moved around alot with the opening and closing of the tailgate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts