Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have an idea what it would cost to get a 4" lit installed into an 87' 1/2 ton. It is a Skyjacker with rear springs. One place quoted me $1000 or more depending on the difficulty does that sound right.
And that price does not include the price of the lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about doing it myself with some help but I don't have the tools to be cutting and griding all the old rusty bolts off. I called another local shop called four wheel parts and with a 4" BDS lift with rear springs and install only $1100 for both so that is about 550 for the install not too bad.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh sorry, I though the 1000 was just to install it. Still seems kinda steep but then again a friend paid 1000 or so for a 4" lift and installed at a local tire shop. Its pretty easy to di it yourself though.

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you that the kit alone for my 97'IFS goes for $1200 and I got quotes for about $800 to install.I assume yours is much simpler to do because I know several people who've done their own.So I'd have to suggest you shop around more or get a couple friends and some beer and go for it.I could be wrong but it wouldnt be the first time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, first off DONT go to 4wheelparts and get it done! they will screw up your truck - there are plenty of people on here with personal testimony of how they screwed up. second, i think $1000 is a bit steep. the lifts are only $300-400 and like somebody said, only take 3-4 hours to install. so are you gonna pay them $200/hour hell no! they are pretty easy to install yourself but if you really dont want to, shop around and find a different shop that will do it cheaper and is not 4wheelparts!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your replacing all four springs, shocks etc. $550 is not that bad a price.

My truck ain't leaking oil it's marking it's territory!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
If It was me Id take that 550 bucks and get the tools I needed to do the lift, But thats me though, you would also end up saving some cash by buying the tools instead of the labor the guy charges you to do the lift.
then you have those tools, So far noones touched my truck but me, Ive also have lots of tools because of it, and ended up with more money in my pocket.

The Kid

It never fails, when Im turning wrenches on my truck and something can go wrong, it usaully does

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
They said it depends on difficulty? Most places go by flat rate, where it doesn't matter how long it takes, just the average, or how long it should take. Seriously though, just soak the bolts with some PB Blaster and do it yourself. Its really easy. If you take it to a shop, don't go to 4WP. they will mess something up.

90K5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree that i would not pay 550 for a leaf spring install. Its easier than a body lift. For that money you could buy a gold plated hacksaw with real diamond tip blade to cut off those rusty bolts.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?
HUSQVARNA WXC610

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where do you live? I'll do it for $250.

Reall it's simple as hell. It will only take a short day on a weekend if you go real slow and easy. Faster if ya got air tools. Rent a compressor if ya dont. You can borrow my pnematics as long as you oil them.

Enter Ground Zero - http://rj.coloradok5.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in Minnesota.
MPHZ71 are you talking about the Four Wheel Parts in Ham Lake or 4WPW online? I thought about doing it myself but have never attempted it or seen it done so I didn't know the difficulty. Hell if I could do it my self in a weekend I would love to save the 500+ dollars the shops are asking. Maybe this will give me a reson to buy all those tools I've been begging the old lady to get ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well 4WPW is a national chain. they have a website and stores all around the country. theres one right here in jax where i live. but i have heard bad stuff from stores all around the country as well as their website so i would stay away from them all together! but anyways - yes its easy to do and save the money, buy a few tools and do it one weekend. all you need is some basic knowledge of how to put bolts in holes. haha. just make sure you read the instructions through and get the tools is says you need and youll be fine. ive put on IFS lifts which are WAY harder than straight axle and even it wasnt that hard. read the instructions a few days ahead of time and if you see something that looks confusing, post a question about it and someone will help you out i promise!

Mike ~
* Earnhardt Forever *

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Actually, you dont need that wany tools. A good deepwell socket set, a decent wrench set, a good long ratchet, and a big ass breaker bar. Lots of WD-40. Hell, my bolts where from 78 and they still came off by hand.

Like a said, a good saturday if you take it nice and easy. You'll need a jack to lift the frame and a floor jack to support the axle.

BTW- Also, it's nice to have a big hammer and punch to drive the old bolts out. Also you need a shop vise or something like it to press in shock bushings.

Enter Ground Zero - http://rj.coloradok5.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't pay 1000 that would be stupid. Find a friend who has a grinding disc or torch and offer him 100 or whatever he wants for it, it will be cheaper than 1000. and bring some food for lunch and coffe and donuts in the morning. That way he'll probably say oh don't worry about it and you'll have your lift and you'll be happy and satisfied. Half the fun is crawling under the truck and doing it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Like Joe said all you need is a set of wrenches, sockets and a ratchet, a pipe to but on the ratchet, hamer and screw driver or punch to drive bolts out, a vise, floor jack and jack stands, and lots and lots of your favorite penitating oil. Also a Saturday and a buddy or 2.

If it aint broke, keep fixing it till it is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Donuts? I work for donuts. Is that truck IFS? I watched a buddy put an IFS one on and he was cutting and torching bracketts off the front of it. He caharge $1500 with the lift kit and shocks. Solid axle front is easy if you have the concept of pinion angles and steering geometry. Hence the reason mine was not easy.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Frank,
Why was your buddy torching off brackets, I thought the IFS kits constied of drop brackets that bolted to the originals.

If its got wheels or a skirt you cant afford it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Tones! I'm also in MN. I just finished doing my 6" BDS lift and am waiting on a driveshaft for it. It is very easy to do if you have it planned out. 4WP in Ham Lake suck... if you have a shop do it... take it either to Hooze (Jeff (the owner) and Mike really know there stuff and a guy I work w/ is Jeff's best bud). Also Ken's 4x4 in Ramsey is great... awsome prices and what not. I bought my BDS lift from them... Dave and one of their Techs Sean both have hige blazers... I was BS'ing w/ Shawn for a while on his k5 w/ 8" suspension lift+ body lift.

Depending where you are located at and when you were planning on doing It I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Mikey

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.