Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I just have to sit around for a while until a suspension lift kit is made?
or is it possible that there may not ever be a suspension lift kit?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You'll just have to sit and wait, sorry! Nissan aftermarket parts and lifts etc are the furthest thing from any Lift-Kit manufacturers mind. The only other option you'll have is to have one custom made, unless you want to wait at least a year or two I would think??
Sorry! Welcome to the world of Nissan!!!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im thinking the same thing. First time I saw an xterra, I thought to myself, that thing would look great with 33"s! I have the TM lift under my Pathfinder, and im happy with it. Just give the aftermarket companies time! Simple supply and demand problem. Companies are going to be reluctant to release a lift kit for a brand new vehicle, that isnt a top seller (just yet). The xterra is becoming extremely popular, so hopefully the lift companies wil lhave one out soon. There is one thing you can do, email the suspension companies, like rancho, TM, superlift, etc, and tell them you want one. If they see there is a definite interest of people wanting to buy one, they will be less hesitant to make one! :) Check with auto customizers, perhaps there is something out there that could be adapted to work. The rear should be simple enough, the front end is where the problem arises! IFS is a pain to deal with, I know! As it has always been said, good things come to those who wait!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I went to get a custom lift kit for my xterra what would be the price range for the entire process. If I did wait for a kit to come out what are the price ranges on such kits. Also what problems could be caused from such a lift.
Are these problems able to be corrected?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The price range could vary pending on if you know someone who could do the work for you at a decent rate, if you did it yourself etc, etc? The first thing I would do is talk to someone you know who's fabricating you trust, and see what all would be required to do it properly. Research, Research my friend spend some time getting different opions and then weigh-out your options. It might cost you a couple grand, I don't know I've never looked at the Xterra front-ends. Pending on who you choose will make a huge difference in determining wheather or not it's done right or it's just like some of the cheesy snap together kits that even the manufacturers sell.
Trust me if you just can't wait, make sure you spend some time looking into it don't just have old Rudy the ******* start Cutting and Hacking and making it fit! If you want send me a picture of your front and rear suspension and under-carrage and I'll run it by some of my fabricating friends to get there opinions. They helped me with my soild axle swap and also built & designed himself a tube frame early bronco with more bells and whistles than I have room to mention.

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif"Go Solid or Go Home"/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, for example, my TM kit for my 94 Pathfinder needed a few mods to make it work. The kit itself was around $850, and the labor for install, and other parts was around 1250. Wasnt cheap, but it was well worth it in the end. We didnt have to do much true fabricating, but there were problems. Such as some of the lift brackets had to be re-machined to remove some edges that werent allowing the balljoints to fit back up properly. I had to use a different outer tie rod end, and trim the threads back to make the adjustment sleeve fit, had to have a specificly backspaced wheel (which you might run into with the xterra also). We had to re-do parts of the exhaust. It took a while, safe to say. And this was a KIT! I would hate to think of completely custom building a suspension for any ifs vehicle. Im thinking your best bet (off the top of my head!) would be an a-arm setup in the front, use your torisons, and perhaps a ball joint spacer of some sort, and using a lift block in the rear. This should net about 3" of lift roughly. Having a-arms made wouldnt be cheap, and as chris said, research! Im not aware of any a-arms or ball joint spacers available for the xterra yet. The a-arms would have to be lengthened to recorrect your camber angle with the torisons being raised. You technically could get a 1" lift with no problems right now. It is possible to turn up the torison bars about 1" with no real problems, besides a little uneven tire wear perhaps. I have done this for quite some time on my pathfinder, and havent had many adverse affects. You could do this and a 1" lift block in the rear (get a normal 2" block that is the righ width, and cut it in two via your local machine shop). This would give you a very small lift, but would be very inexpensive, and shouldnt mess up your driveshaft angles, or your shocks. If you go much higher that 1.5", new shocks would be a good idea. Since you arent going that high, you SHOULD be ok. Have a competent shop look at it. This tiny lift might just get you by until a kit comes out. I would suggest being patient, and waiting for a kit. This will be easier to install, and certainly less expensive and time consuming. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, let me know! this is just my 2 cents, I could be wrong!

Happy Trails
Wade

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Holy smoke Wade, I think the book WAR & Peace was shorter than that? I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there pal. The only thing I would change but it costs alot more no doubt is using a bigger spring pack instead of blocks. Block's have a greater tendency to increase axle wrap, but they are a hell of a lot cheaper.
You are right though, a custom IFS kit might be a bit overkill, but I guess it all depends on how it's going to be used?

Chris J.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry about the length there guys, had to get that out of my system. BUT I did just have a brainstorm, see my xterra lift idea post! :) Who knows!

Happy Trails
Wade

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
hey don't use blocks in the rear unless you want to lower it. they changed to spring under on the rear!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out my post "Frontier and Xterra Lifts"..... I've got some great news if we can find someone in SoCal area to get their truck over to Donahoe Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The crew cab has springs over axles - stock. Could it be the answer for the Xterra rear ? You need to know the spring rates, length and arch on both vehicles to figure out amount of lift.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Unfortunately, the crew cab has spring under axles....At least mine does. You can always go with a shackle lift. A 1 to 2" shackle lift combined with a 3" lift in the front would give you an almost level ride height.

I found a company called Donahoe Racing in SoCal that will custom fabricate a lift for the Frontier's and Xterra's. See my post on this board titled "Frontier and Xterra Lifts".

Later,
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My 4x4 00 Nissan Crew Cab has springs over axles. I just went out to confirm. Is yours a 2 wheel drive ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, but all of the 4x4's that I've seen while looking for a truck in Georgia had spring under axle configurations as well. The 4x2 and 4x4 Crew Cab's share the same chassis to the tee. I checked the A-Arm and Torsion bar stock numbers with the parts department to be sure. This way when a lift comes out for the truck, wether for a 4x4 or a pre-runner style lift for the 4x2, I know either will fit my truck.

This is besides the point though. You would have a lot of work to do to convert from spring under to spring over. Cutting out the spring mounts, welding spring mounts to the top side of the axle, dealing with the new shock mount position. Plus, in moving from spring under to spring over you would lift the rear at least 4 inches. This would mean a 5 or 6 inch lift to the front of the truck if you want a level ride instead of the factory nose down setup.

Good luck,
John

P.S. Don't forget, if you or anyone you know lives in SoCal, we can get a lift kit custom fabricated from Donahoe Racing for all of us. All they need is someone locally to bring their truck in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're right. Sorry for doubting you.

It was buggin the crap out of me so I found an SE 4x4 on the lot where I bought mine and sure enough it was spring over axle. The spring has less arch in it so the ride height is close to the same. It seems the SE 4x4 sits about a half inch or so higher than the XE or SE 4x2's. This may have been due to what looked like a larger tire size on the 4x4's.

I'm still thinking a shackle lift or add-a-leaf lift will work for either configuration though, with less fuss as well. I wonder if the pre-frontier shackles or add-a-leafs will fit the Frontier's and Xterra's.

Later,
John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts