Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since researching lifts, I am now more confused than ever as to what to get. I want to run 33x9.5s or 10.5 on my factory wheels, I want as good a ride as factory if not better. This vehicle is a daily driver, and will be a moderate trail vehicle on weekends. Originally I looked at the Rancho Rock Crawler 2.5" system, but a few people told me that the ride was rough. And just as many people said it was better than factory. I was also considering a Rubicon Express, 3", Skyjacker Standard 2.5 or 4". Lastly someone told me to use the OME 2.5 system with 1" coil spacers. My questions are what kind of travel can you get without changing all the control arms and trac bars, which one will give us the best ride and performance. Any and all recomendations will be appreciated. No Body Lifts!!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
i have a rubicon express 4.5" lift with 33x12.5 tires on my wifes jeep. it drives at least as well as stock, and i would recomend getting at least that much lift if you are actually going to use the jeep, this kit almost completely uses all the lift at full stuff with the 33's, and a bit of body lift would fit 35's nice. of course, you get all new control arms, and i opted for adjustable arms on all 8. if you skip a part of the proper way to lift it, your handling will suffer

~~Elusive~~
http://www.jeepgod.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the Tera Flex 3" system (soon to be 4") and I am very happy with it. I don't think is is as plush as stock. You are raising you vehicle with longer springs with higher spring rates. But, the Jeep is now more useful offroad and carrying heavier loads. You can not go wrong with the Tera Flex lift. Remember you get what you pay for. Rick

'98 TJ Sport, 31" BFG's (for now), Tera 3", No-Slip in the Dana 44, HS 9500i, SYE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with everything everyone has said up to this point...all great tips and ideas.

I runt the TeraFlex S3T kit, supposedly 3", but it gave the 98 Sahara nearly 4"in the rear..and about 3.5" in the frint...the front is sitting a little low because the custom rockcrawling bumper and Wanr XD9000I have taken their toll over the last year. The ride is definitely better than stock...but what controld the ride is the shocks...i can't help but laugh when someone puts cheapass shocks on their vehicle. I run the RS9000s on EVERYTHING I OWN, 98 Ram 4x4, 98 TJ, 77 CJ-5. They are the best shocks in my opinion, because you can tailor the ride to what YOU LIKE not what some engineer likes...

Getting a 33x10.5 on your factory rims may present a problem...i know i had to use wheels with different backspacing...i forget what it is though...but ii put 33" BFG M/Ts, 33x10.5R15, and they only tap the front fender flar at full compression, and ONLY when turning sharply...its only the flare, not sheetmetal, and it easily flexes out of the way without damage. we have NO driveline vibration and no SYE kit. the Jeep ius also an automatic, with the short driveshaft. We got the standard adjustable lower flexarms, and retained the factroy upper arms due to budget constraints, and they work spec tacularly. Still saving for the customs Currie Dana 60s, detroit locked and disk braked. But the Jeep rides way nicer than stock, handles more crisply, except for the acceleration, the dana 35 and 30 are NOT worth new gears. I'll attach a pic to give you an idea of how the TeraFlex kit flexes...note how level the body stays...

mike

Give me Jeep or Give me Death!!!

(Will trade functioning organs for CJ-7 or flatfender)

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Skyjacker 2.5" lift says that I can run 33's on my tj with no scrubbing, but if you can barely run 33's with a 4.5" lift there is no way. What year Jeep do you own? Should run the 33-12.50's on a 15x10 rim or on a 15x8 to avoid rubbing the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.