Off Roading Forums banner

Lift amount for SOA ??

1K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Randyzzz 
#1 ·
Getting ready to order some Alcan springs for the front of my Jeepster project. I'm doing a shackle reversal and going to a 2.5" wide spring.

My question is how much lift do I need (along with the SOA) to clear either 42s or 44s? Plan on moving the axle forward 2 inches to get away from the firewall, to help with clearance. Also will do fender trimming on the front fenders as well. So what do you guys suggest.

To help with suggestions or advice, will be using full width axles and stock hummer rims. The rims will be left stock or backspaced to 5.5", depending on how bad they rub the springs if they do.

Eric

G
#2 ·
Eric, I used a spring/shackle reversal set-up from National Springs a few years ago on my son's '69 Jeepster. I added 2 inches of lift on the springs, did the SOA conversion and added 2 inches of body lift to clear the 37" tires (total of about 9 inches) There appears to be room for your 42-44" tires in the front, but the rear is another question. Naturally, you will need to trim the heck out of the rear fenders for the 42-44's you want to use. Something to consider (besides the steering mods), make sure you have long enough brake lines (hose) in the front and you're able to stop those bigass tires. Jim

#3 ·
Your right on the rear, I will have to do some major trimming. I also plan to move the axle back about 3 or 4 inches as well.

On the brakes I think the Dana 60 I will be using along with the 14 bolt with disc brake conversion will help keep the big tires under control. Plan on a Mico lock system also plus a driveline brake to make sure it doesn't roll down a hill by itself when I might need to stop in the middle of one.

Thanks for the advice. So maybe I should go with like a 2.5 or 3" lift spring. I don't want to get too tall though, I want to keep my COG as low as possible. Maybe just remove the fenders completely and on the rear just cut them level to the rear with the top body line. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............

#6 ·
Really other than planning on it is all the futher I have gotten on that. I don't even have the axles underneath the frame yet. This is a total frame off rebuild. I started with this.

about 4 months ago.

This is what I have right now.

I think the investment of the mico lock will pay for itself more than once.

Eric

#8 ·
To clear 42 or 44 tall tires I would think it would take 4 to 6 inches of spring lift combined with a body lift and SOA. I am currently running 39" tall tires with 2-1/2" springs along with SOA and no body lift and the rear fender well flare completely cut out. I have only driven in a field next to my house so I don't have a good feel yet if it will be enough lift. My gut feeling is I will have to go to springs with 4" lift. I'm at work and can't post a picture but I posted a picture of it a couple of months ago in the pic's of your rig post. Good luck with your project.

#9 ·
Don't know if you're interested, but I have a set of new Alcans, 2" wide with a 4 1/2" lift set up for a shackle reversal...I'm going a different route and need to sell these. Any takers?

G
#10 ·
Eric, Call National Spring or Alcan and talk to their tech person. You need to consider several other things besides spring arch/added lift. You'll have to supply them with fairly accurate final axle carrying weights for example to get the springs 'fitted' for your application. (Or at least I did, anyway) Some other thoughts after looking at your frame -- box that baby and reinforce where it makes sense and think about lifting the rear at least two inches higher than the front to help eliminate the rear bias of the Jeepsters (I feel like I'm squatting in the back on my stock Jeepster when I drive it so I built two inch tall blocks and placed them under the rear springs on my son's rig) PM me if you want to talk on the phone to discuss what I did. Jim

#11 ·
Jim

I talked to Alcan on Tuesday about my application, I just figured I would get some views/opinions on someone that has done something similar to mine.

I'm going to call them in the next few minutes and order the springs, so I will talk to them about how much lift I might need for the slated tires I want to run. We went over the size motor, axle, winch and some other variables on Tuesday. I just didn't mention lift height.

Thanks for the input. I will let ya'll know what I wind up with after I talk to them and place the order.

Eric

#12 ·
Well I talked to Tom at Alcan this afternoon and we both agreed that 4" lift springs, 2" body lift, SOA and judcious fender trimming should do the trick for the front of the Jeepster to clear 42s.

Can't wait for them to get here, so I can put the D60 underneath the frame.

Eric

#13 ·
For those that might be interested, I finally got the front Dana 60 under the Jeepster chassis with the Alcan 2.5" wide 4" lift springs.

Here is a couple of shots.

I will have a very good approach angle with the 42s or 44s!!

The tierod is temporary until I have the full hydro steering done. It's a good way to keep the tires/wheels from flopping around.

#17 ·
Sure, I will be over at the shop on Tuesday. I will take a pic then.

Thanks for the kind words guys! This has been a very slow project, but it will eventually get there with more money and time. Hope to get alot done in the winter.

#18 ·
In reply to:

The tierod is temporary until I have the full hydro steering done. It's a good way to keep the tires/wheels from flopping around.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am getting a D44 with a detroit for the front with slugs(drive flanges) and am going full hydro as well. What control valve are you going to use? Load reactive - non load reactive? Balanced cylinder(D.E) - unbalanced(S.E.)? Who are you going to use for the parts? PSC, Howe, Rockstomper, Station? Just asking as I am in a similar process and would love feedback you have received.

#19 ·
On the hydro steering I will be getting everything from Station aka Performance Offroad Systems. IMO, he is the best there is and real easy guy to talk too.

The valve will be a Dan-foss that we use here at my work (only part I won't get from POS). I will check to see if it's load reactive or not. Station said it was one of the same one he sells, accroding to the part number.

The ram will be a DE cylinder mounted to the front axle via custom mount.

This will actually be one of the last steps I do so everything else will be in place.

Post some pics up of yours when you get it done, so I can see how you mounted your ram, that is if you are going to use a DE one.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.