Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys....my dad says hes gonna sell my jeep if we can't get it running in a month.
First of all, its a 74 cj-5 w/ 232. the problem is that when I go to stop it idles down and almost cuts off, but rarly does.It only happens when you stop at a stopsign or light.

We have tried 5 different carbs, tested the vaccumm, new tune-up items( coil,plugs,wires,points, etc.).
We tried to put a timing light on it, but we couldnt find the timing mark on the crank pulley.

Any ideas or help for my dillema will be very, very appreciated. I really dont want to loose my jeep. You guys know how it is.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Where in NC are you? One of the NC crowd might be near you.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
You failed to mention if it's an automatic transmission or a manual.
If auto, you may be having torque converter problems or vacuum modulator/ governer issues.

This problem will surface if the distributor is in the engine 180 degrees out.
----------------------------------------

Timing mark...

Disable the ignition. (unhook the coil connector)
Locate and mark the #1 plug wire location on the distributor housing.
Flip the distributor cap, and crank the engine until the rotor nose points at the mark you made on the housing.
Locate the timing tab or timing scale, look for your timing mark in the harmonic balancer at appx. 4 degrees before the 0 mark on the timing tab.

If you still don't find the groove on the balancer...

Disable the ignition. (unhook the coil)
Take out the #1 spark plug.
Put your finger OVER the hole (NOT IN the hole) and crank the engine until the compression stroke starts.
MAKE SURE you have the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke.
When the compression stroke starts, use a socket and breaker bar on the crank snout bolt to roll the engine over.
Use a chop stick, or wooden dowel rod (NEVER USE METAL, Like a screwdriver...) to feel for the top of the piston through the sparkplug hole.
Turn the engine CLOCKWISE, and only BY HAND.
At the very top (this is called 'Top Dead Center' or TDC) you may move the wrench forward and backward a little to make sure you have the crank at TDC.
Look at your timing tab, and the groove on the balancer should be at the 0 (zero) mark.
Look at the rotor nose, it should be pointing at the mark you made on the distributor housing.

If the harmonic balancer mark (timing mark) lines up with the 0 (zero) on your timing tab, and the rotor is pointing at the mark on the distributor housing, you have verified TDC, your harmonic balancer, and that your distributor is in the engine correctly.

If not, you have problems...

If you don't find the timing mark on the harmonic balancer, the outside ring on the harmonic balancer has slipped, and you will need to replace it.

If you don't have a timing tab, you can make one from anything up to and including stiff wire. Just make it point at the 0 (zero) mark on the balancer.
Be sure to purchase a timing tape to go around the balancer so you know how many degrees of advance/ retard you are dialing in.
Pay attention. 90% of people put the timing tape on the balancer backwards the first time.

If the rotor nose doesn't point at the mark you made on the distributor housing, either the distributor is in backwards (180degrees out) or you have TDC of the exhaust stroke instead of the compression stroke.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
like said, where in NC are you? there's a bunch of us here. Smeone is bound to be near by

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am about halfway in between Charlotte and Albermarle, if anyone knows where there towns are and my jeep is a manual. Thanks for the timing instructions. I'll have a look at it in the morning and see if it helps. Thanks

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
there's plenty of people down around the Charlotte area.

keep after it, you'll get it running. start with the suggestions above and let us know.

·
Registered
484 Posts
had the same problem with finding my timing mark....turns out it is just a very shallow indentation in the very edge of the pulley,on both sides of the belt...take some scothbrite(steel wool,whatever) and buff the outer edges of the pulley, when you find them use a toothpick and paint the marks white, it will jump out at ya under the timing light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif...hope this works for ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks you guys. We looked at it and played with the timing and carb mixture, and I think that was the problem. Right now the cutting out has stopped, but now a new problem has surfaced. The clutch is now slipping and about to go. Hopefully I will be able to keep it and get the clutch fixed, but if anymore problems occur im afraid I may have to loose the jeep.

·
Official Historian
8,339 Posts
Another tip is to use white chalk on the timing mark on the balancer and the marks on the timing cover. Makes it easy to see.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
when you find them use a toothpick and paint the marks white, it will jump out at ya under the timing light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif...hope this works for ya

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Another tip is to use white chalk on the timing mark on the balancer and the marks on the timing cover. Makes it easy to see.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the motor is hot.... White China Marker (aka grease pencil). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
OMG, someone NOT in Engineering that knows what a China Marker is

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
OMG, someone NOT in Engineering that knows what a China Marker is

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey just cause I have spent all my time for the last ten years messing with computers, sometimes even get paid for it....

Twenty years repairing, building and exporting jobs building machine tools (metal cutting and forming). Even had several positions with Engineer in the title. Well in the past but... I've been there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

1 - 13 of 13 Posts