Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LEVE\'s Headlight Post

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif This month's JP magazine has a post on aiming headlights, but for those of you who don't take the magazine, go download LEVE's post instead. The description in JP was feeble compared to Larry's. The only problem I have with Larry's instructions/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif is finding twenty-five feet of level ground!! Remember this is the Mother Lode...what little level ground that there WAS, the miners turned upside down looking for that yellow stuff./wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

CJDave

G

·
Re: LEVE\'s Headlight Post

What post? What write-up? I scrolled down and didn't see anything related to this topic. I am very interested b/c I know my headlight are misalligned.

Thanks
Mark F

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: LEVE\'s Headlight Post

/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif ERK! I'm embarassed.....it was on the "other" Jeep page. I CAN NOT believe I made that mistake. I was a real good post too......well written in the LEVE service manual style for even the lamest among us to understand./wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif

CJDave

G

·
Help me find LEVE\'s Post

Hey Dave,
Which 'other' page? Give us a hint. Hopefully the 'powers that be /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif (or at least the ones that think they be /wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif) won't 'edit the content' of your answer. I've been puting off aiming my headlights for a while /wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif, but I really need to get it done, especially now that the darker days of winter are quickly approaching. If the write up is so great, or at least has some helpful ideas or pointers, then it's worth my time to check it out, but I need to know where to look. Oh, and thanks again for your help on that 'other' /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif thing. I haven't heard from her yet, but thanks for all you efforts and wisdom. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Help me find LEVE\'s Post

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Ok, Spy. It's the page that has mike in the name. Maybe if I was more adept at compooters, I could scan in the post and repost it here, or send it to you. It was quite good. I'll post the actual BBS name on your regular e-mail Spidey, and maybe YOU can figure out how to move it./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Re: Help me find LEVE\'s Post

LEVE's post of 10-12-99 from...

Here's the low down on aiming your headlights. Low beams do not aim straight ahead when aligned. They point down and to the right. This keeps from
blinding oncoming drivers.

High Beams are not named High because of an increased candlepower; they are named High because the beam is aimed higher. High beams aim straight, out
from the headlight when the low beams are correctly adjusted. That's the reason you can be blinded by High beams from oncoming traffic.

Try this solution:

You'll need:
Tape Measure;
Flat wall (I use my garage door!)

Vertical adjustment:

1. Park about 25 feed from the wall on the level!
2. Measure the height of the headlights, at their center.
3. Measure the height of the light beam at its center.
4. Adjust the LOW beam so the center of the beam is about 2" below center of the headlight height.
5. If you have done the adjustment correctly the High Beam should follow, it's locked in.

If you make a two-inch error at 25 feet, the error compounds with distance. It becomes an error of about two feet, 300 feet distant. 300 feet is a point at
which you should be able to view a person.

Horizontal Adjustment:

Repeat steps 1 - 4, only, measure the separation between the headlight centers. The separation of beams, center to center, on the wall should be the same as
the headlights.
5. Move the Low Beam about 2 inches to the right.

I think this will get you in the ballpark.

Non compis mentis./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Help me thank BikerJoe

/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif Thanks biker Joe. That is a good post by LEVE....I just have to remember which board I'm on..../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif....before I say stuff./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Thanks guys!

Thanks guys! Too bad the guys at the 'service' stations don't do it for free anymore. At least this way, I don't have to pay anything, and I can still adjust 'em with a lot more accuracy than, "that looks about good enough... kinda". ...Now, I just need to rewire my headlights with 2g, add some 40A relays, and figure out some way to adapt a couple of those 500watt halogen bulbs (the kind they use in those 'torchiere' lights that burn houses down) for automotive use, and my headlights will be ready to aim./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.