Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '80 CJ-7 with a Chevy 350 V-8. It has Edelbrock chrome valve covers that leak. The seals have been replaced twice in the last 4 months (once by me and once by a M&C Auto who are very good) to no avail. M&C told me up front that they will probably always leak because chrome valve covers "ain't worth a sh*t." Is this true? What should I replace them with? How about the Edelbrock Elite Series aluminum valve covers (need a price)? What should I do?!

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Take it from a Chevy Big Block AND Small Block builder.....the ONLY way to go is with cast aluminum covers.....period. I even make special studs and use acorn type nuts for them to keep oil from seeping through. Chrome steel valve covers NEVER hold very well./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Ditto what CJDave said except it's not limited to Chevy. I have personal experience with Ford and some
English sports cars. Tried trusses that go over the top, spreader washers, you name it. In the
meantime you could use RTV silicone both sides of the gasket, but they'll be a real b**** to get back off.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a way to make the plastic one seal....I can get my old cracked one to seal but it takes a few steps.
1. Clean everything real well.
2. Run a 1/4" bead of RTV gasket silcon around the mating edge of the valve cover.
3. Let sit for at least 45 min, the bead needs to be not tacky on the outside but soft underneath.
4. Gently put on, but DO NOT tighten. Just snug down the bolts so that all the RTV is in contact with the head.
5. Let sit overnight.
6. Next morning go ahead and tighten down.

The real trick is to let the RTV partially set up before you install it, otherwise, your just squeeze it out.

Another solution is to buy the Mopar replacement valve cover. Don't buy the clifford. The Mopar requires that you drill out the holes on the right side of the engine, but it does not leak....however, it does cost about $100.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
DDawg16,

This is a CHEVY 350. I know, you saw Jeep and valve cover leak and assumed 258 I6 (a real natural
assumption) but this is a Chevy. Some other valve covers leak too, BUT NOTHING LEAKS LIKE A 258
WITH THE FACTORY PLASTIC OR A CHROME COVER. Well, maybe a Triumph 4 banger.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif Uh....Taz...You obviously have never been around a 60's Jag XKE. They don't leak oil....oh heck no...it just RUNS OUT!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

·
Official Curmudgeon
5,207 Posts
Yeah I was around the 60's XKE, but I thought they were just warn out from opening them up to flip the
overhead cam buttons. Buddy of mine had one in the early 70's, yanked out the 6 and in went a small
block Chevy. Cut the hell out of the girder frame to get it in. Tore the side out of it on the railing on
Gandy bridge Tampa, FL when he hit the section of steel grating that opened to let the ships through.
He was doing about 130, racing another friend in a Riviera with the dual quads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.