Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a novice when it comes to off-roading and mechanic...I have always loved the wrangler and recently purchased a Y2K TJ. Now I am going to put some 31' tires on it...that is if they will fit. Can anyone tell me the max dimensions for a TJ w/o a lift?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I'm interested too .......my '99 has 30x9.50r15s on it .........actually 28.5" .......that is supposed to be the biggest that can be put on it ......that is, without the occasional rub ......
BTW-does anyone know why they call a 28.5" tire a 30? ........and does that lead me to believe that a 33" isn't really a 33"?.......
GeeAea

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally the largest tyre on a stock TJ is 31x10.... But the REAL size tends to vary between manufacturer. Swampers are probably the costest to providing the true quoted size.
Cheers
Wooders.

Cheers
Wooders

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even Swampers are all out of whack. I've been a tech inspector at mud races for many years & we (up until VERY recently) measured tires to determine classes. First off, measurement is made in a horizontal plane (across the tire, not up & down) to get a better pic of true diameter. Those 28.5" 30's would measure taller if not on your vehicle or if measured across. But, they'd still be less than 30".

As to Swampers, 33's really ARE taller than 33". In fact if both are mounted on 8" rims, 33" Swampers are taller than 34" Swampers (but only marginally so). Plus or minus a few fractions, 33 & 34" TSL's are really about 33.5"

35" Swampers are more like 34" or just a fuzz above.
Q78's - 35"
36's - 35.5"
38's - 36" if 15" rims or 36.5" if 16.5's.
38.5's - almost 38"
39.5's - 38.5"
42's - 41"
44's - 43"

All of the above assume standard rim width. Wider or narrower than recommended can have an impact (more on some sizes than others). And if anyone wonders why the 38's are so far off, it's because that was one of the original TSL tires & used to be called a 13/37. They changed the sidewall stamp to 38X12.50 when 36's were introduced so the two sizes wouldn't canabalize each other (a marketing thing).

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
31x10.50s will fit fine if you use the stock wheels although you may need to adjust your steeringstops.. Aftermarket wheels will allow them to rub on the fender flares a lot more.
Aaron

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be fine with the 31x10.50R15's. Hopefully, your TJ came with the 30" tire option - it gives you 15x8" rims. All the other options give you 15x7's (they'll still work for 31's, but not recommended for anything larger like 32's or 33's), except the Sahara, which come std with 16x7's (why!) which opens a whole different can-o-worms. In any case, I'd recommend doing either a 1" body lift, or a coil spacer lift (1"-2") just to gain a little bit of clearance, and a set of sway bar disconnects, if you plan to take it off-road much. As for tires, I'd go with the BFG All-Terrain "KO"'s. They will give you awesome traction and excellent performance on and off road. Plus, they'll last a long time. If you want something more aggressive, you could try the BFG Mud Terrain's, but they don't last as long, and they don't do well on snowy or wet roads. They can't be beat for rocks and mud though. There are some other tires that will outperform these off road, but they tend to be noisy and somewhat unpredictable on road. Hope this helped. Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually, 16" rims CAN be a blessing in some cases. Despite limited access to "normal" sizes and getting soaked by the manufacturers price-wise, 16's can open up some opportunities to go UP in diameter while keeping stock or near-stock width (thus eliminating some clearance problems associated with wide tires). Now, if only "standard" sizes were available for 16's, we could eliminate 15's & 16.5's completely & just have ONE universal rim size. Wouldn't THAT be nice?!

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as the 16" rims, The only reason I said what I did is because all this tire size discussion would be worthless if he does have the 16's since he'd get nothing but wierd looks if he went in and asked for a "31x10.50r16". All the advice we've been giving wouldn't mean a thing. Also, I can't understand why Jeep would offer only 1 16" rim, available in only 1 option package, and they made it a 7" width instead of an 8". It just seems silly - to upgrade a Y2K Sahara to the 30" tire pkg (and all the other goodies that go with it), you have to step down to a 15" rim. Why??!! Why not make the Sahara standard with a 16x8 and offer a 30" tire equivelant with the upgrade package. That would be sweet. For that matter, why not make that same upgrade pkg w/ 16's available for the Sport's too? I guess I'll never understand those guys... Oh well, Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YUP! If he has 16's, this is all a moot point. We should be telling him about 245/75's or 235/85's. or...........

BTW, I think something like a 265/70R16 (which I believe is offered on the new F150's) would be pretty darn close to 31X10.50/16.

Later,

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.