Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a larger capacity oil filter for my CJ-7 with 258. Thanks for any help.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Jeepin's for me

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif I was dismayed at the coffee cup (NOT mug) sized filter on our ZJ 4.0, so I went hunting. Opened a few boxes down at Kragen auto parts till I found a thread and seat match. It turned out to be the 318 Mopar filter PH8A Fram. It brought the 4.0 to seven quarts exactly...one quart for each main bearing./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The earlier 258s used a larger filter than the later ones, but it still fits. It is the same filter as a late 70s Olds (R vin code) engine.
I've been using this filter on my CJ-7 for 10 years or so. Sorry I can't remember the number offhand.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
as a side note, the PH8 also fits the amc v8's.

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif I tried the PH8A from our 4.0 on the CJ 304 and there was insufficient frame clearance for the filter...Drat!/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't go with the large filter unless you have the MORE bombproof motor mounts (actually, I've never checked to see if this fits, so this may not even be an option) . There's a really good reason why they use the small filter on CJ7s, it's becuase the big filters hit on the motor mounts when off-road, and eventually get a hole poked in them - even with brand new rubber mounts. I don't think I'd try it with the polyurethane mounts either.

J-trucks with the 258 can run the large filters becuase the motor mounts are farther forward and the filter is no danger of hitting them.

A good option for going to a big filter is to buy a remote filter adapter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the motor mounts are in the way then why did the older CJ's run the larger filter? They seem to have the motor mounts in the same spot. Just wondering.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Jeepin's for me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said, I've been running the larger filter for 10 years of so and broken several motor mounts at that time. Once I sent the fan
into the radiator. The oil filter never has come close to hitting the frame.

·
Official Historian
8,340 Posts
those are some interesting comments. i'll have to take a closer look at my oil filter to see if there might be some interference. i've been using a PH8 for four years with the 304 that came in my 79 cj7 and just over a year now in the 360 i swapped in. (no not the SAME filter, they get changed regularly.) i've never noticed any dents on them though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mine's never hit the frame either. It's hit the edge of the mount itself and the mount bracke. I've had two get holes in them in the last year becuase I thought it would be better to run the large filter. I know several other people that have had this experience as well. It does happen. I went for years without this happening even though I was breaking motor mounts once or twice a year. Then it happened twice in one Summer.

I'd suggest to at least carry a spare filter if you are going to use a large filter when off-roading.

One guy in my club runs large AMSOIL filters becuase the casing is so thick that they dent rather than puncture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why we carry spares of certain parts! /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Spares are one thing, but possibly jeopordizing our playground unnessicarily is not good. Spilled oil is a no-no and must be avoided at all cost. Don't take chances!

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.